Kegged Beer Tastes Better Than Bottled

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is kegged better?

• Kegged tastes better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottled tastes better

• Just different

• No difference

• Total voters

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
I have heard people say there is little if no difference. My experience is that kegged beer invariably tastes better than bottled (naturally carbonated). I generally have a bottle or two over when I fill a keg and it is interesting to compare them down the track.

I have also heard a number of theories but nothing very concrete.

How long before a stout or high gravity ale is at its best in a keg?

I am drinking a 7 month in the bottle stout at the moment and it is much better than it was 3 months ago. Do you have to set aside a keg for 6 months to get the full benefit of these longer ageing beers?

I have voted,
IMO, kegged generally tastes better, but I have had a few brews that after maturing for a few months do gain some very pleasurable characteristics in the bottle.

Cheers,

IMO kegged beer definitely tastes better.
It is a lot easier to control the carbonation too.

Beers,
Doc

Since I started kegging all of my bottled brews taste 'sweet' .... am now playing about with different priming mediums to try and get rid of the residual sweetness ....

To me the keg seems to age (mellow etc) quicker than bottles, and tastes fresher at the same time.

due to CO2 purge of kegs, or cold storage, larger mass i dunno but its better for me

plus washing bottles suck! :)

I might have to go the other way to most of you and say that I prefer my ales bottle-conditioned. Although this is just a personal preference, I can see why people prefer kegged beer.

I don't really know coz I don't keg my beer, but...

I no longer buy little creatures in the bottle after a couple of very ordinary (and expensive) bottles. On tap it is still one of my very favourite favourites.

Deebee, I didnt even reliase you could get LCPA on tap!

Anyone know of it in Adelaide? I had a couple bottles, Not very impressed, But im always to give beer another shot in a few months time...... And on tap.... hopefully might suit my tastes better

BTW, are u supposed to mix LCPA before drinking like you do with Coopers???I didnt....

I've found bottle carbonation to be a bit of a black art - am looking forward to setting up some kegs / postmix containers.

cheers
reg

Hmmmm contrary to published opinion here. . .

bottled beer tastes better, every time

BUT

ah that BUT

the beer must be in the bottle the right time
Once bottled, it hangs around on retailer shelves till sold

Any beer can be kegged, bit of extra fizz hides a multitude of sins
A beer must be designed/brewed especially for bottling. . .

On a personal, practical note
I keg small beers (generally second runnings beers)
Big beers, i always bottle

Ready access to jug after jug of high alcohol beer. . . coul lead to de-hiring interviews

Big beers need more time to mature, a keg would be drained long b4 a strong beer is coming into its best

So, what's your fancy?

JM

Well it is by no means a consensus but, the "keg is best" crowd have a commanding lead in the poll. Actually - I can't strongly disagree with what has been said on either side.

What I do find with my bottles that there is variation from one bottle to the next, perhaps not large but there nevertheless. Some taste very close to the kegged version, others add new flavours, and not for the better, at least for me. Apparently some people have learned how to manipulate this flavour change for good, not evil.

When the time comes for me to send a bottle into a comp, I don't want to play russian roulette - if the kegged beer tastes good, then I have some level of confidence about what goes into the bottle.

sosman, if u keg, you cant transfer it into a bottle.... could u?

THats like opening one bottle, Transferring to another bottle, then re capping..... Itd be flat as a tack?

Or am i off my tree here?

Yes you can transfer to a bottle from a a keg. Even in a brewery I believe bottles are filled at atmospheric pressure.

Some things to consider:

o CO2 dissolves in beer, it doesn't instantaneously disappear out of the bottle (easily demonstrated by pouring into a glass).
o The colder the beer, the more CO2 is dissolved for a given pressure.
o To minimise foaming (CO2 coming out of solution) - use a Counter Pressure bottle Filler. You can buy these (or check out a homemade one at brewiki: homemade CPF. There are tips there on technique and links to other designs.

Also check out the carbonator on the same page for a method to put the CO2 back in.

Back