Kegerator Tap Insulation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifis101

Reaction score
Hey folks, Just after any tips and tricks people may have used to insulate their taps on the front of their kegerator/keezer. This will be my first summer with a kegerator setup and the other day it was warm and humid and I noticed how much condensation was on the taps. I'm probably overthinking it but my garage can get warm at times and cutting down the heat transfer throught he taps will only make it easier on the old fridge.

Depends where the heat exchanger is on your fridge. If it has a black grille on the back then insulate the sides, top and door of the fridge to help it. Ensure good airflow over the condenser ( black grille). If it has the heat exchangers ( condenser elements ) in the sides then make sure you haven't insulated the sides or clad the sides as that will cause a lot of stress. Normally no heat exchanger in the roof part so that can be insulated and the door as well.
Make sure you have sealed the holes up where the taps go through the fridge wall etc.
If you have space and the fridge has sidewall heat exchangers then insulate inside the fridge.
Use some bubble wrap perhaps over the taps when you aren't using them might make a tiny bit of difference. But other measures will have more effect than tap insulation.

Unless you are using a font tower you shouldn't have any issues with the beer lines getting warm if they are all inside the cabinet, excess foaming is more likely too short a liquid line or excess pressure.
My fermentation fridge gets condensation on the glass exterior first thing in the morning until the ambient temp rises.

Excess foam is a bit of an issue but only from the first pour, which unfortuntely is most of the time. Being the only one who drinks from it, with 4 taps and taking a drink from each one, I'm pouring from a warm tap a fair bit. This being another reason why an easy slip on cover would be nice.
I will check the seals around all my holes but I think adding any extra insulation paneling will be a bit excessive for what I need.

You will always find that the first pour is more foamy to some degree as the tap will be warmer until cold beer runs through it and the temp drops.

I don't think that issue could be prevented unless you had your taps inside the fridge.
Only put the insulation info there for you as you wanted less strain on your fridge. I have the same issue with 6 taps as well although do see variance with the different beers.
I reckon you'll be okay.

I cut up one of those foam sports seat cushions you buy from KMart for $2 and lined my font tower with that.
I also bought a font fan from KL and I flick that on if it's a warm day and know I'm going to have a beer later on.

Seems to do the trick!

Edit: I just read you post properly and you don't have a font. Forget what I said!

My Kegerator used to live in a hot garage which would hit 45-50 degrees in the height of summer. The shanks/lines stayed cold inside the fridge, but the taps would get hot and pour foam until they cooled down.

My solution was to keep a large cup of crushed ice in the freezer above and then put it over the tap for a few seconds prior to pouring. Worked like a charm, cost about $2 to buy a big plastic cup and didn’t require any significant engineering or additions to my gear.

JD

Still not sure that keeping the taps cool is going to
make it easier on the old fridge.
It will improve the first pour though a bit.
@JDW81 I'm only getting those temps if the taps are in direct sunlight and the keg fridge is parked just a bit south for that in the spring and autumn.

I wonder if making little neoprene parkas to cover the taps would help at all with the first pour? Anybody tried something like that?

I wonder if making little neoprene parkas to cover the taps would help at all with the first pour? Anybody tried something like that?
This is kind of what I was hoping people may have used before. I was think of getting a pool noodle, cut slot on one sode and slip it over the tap.

My solution was to keep a large cup of crushed ice in the freezer above and then put it over the tap for a few seconds prior to pouring. Worked like a charm, cost about $2 to buy a big plastic cup and didn’t require any significant engineering or additions to my gear.

JD
Definitely sounds like a simple idea.

Hey folks, Just after any tips and tricks people may have used to insulate their taps on the front of their kegerator/keezer. This will be my first summer with a kegerator setup and the other day it was warm and humid and I noticed how much condensation was on the taps. I'm probably overthinking it but my garage can get warm at times and cutting down the heat transfer throught he taps will only make it easier on the old fridge.
I’ve just turned to using those ice up things I used to use as a kid,
I keep them in the freezer, and just sit them on the tap for about 5 min prior to the first pour, I’ve found it works great.

my shed gets quiet warm to, and even thoughI have a FC tap, I found it had to be turned right down to avoid foam on first pour, I now have it quite free flowing on first pour.

Attachments

• 4A8031A8-08F6-4727-AC89-FD69FABA83A1.jpeg
    4A8031A8-08F6-4727-AC89-FD69FABA83A1.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 936DC43A-01D3-4143-8B81-7B259AFB6155.jpeg
    936DC43A-01D3-4143-8B81-7B259AFB6155.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back