Kegerator setup options - Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a long time beer lover but new to homebrew and am looking to get straight in to kegging with a kegerator. (I know you can convert regular fridges but I won't be going down this path for a few reasons). I've been doing a lot of research on what to get, where to buy and what to to look out for when buying a kegerator/keg setup, and am unsure of which route to take. Note I'm from Melbourne.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on buying a kegerator from the following places:
- Pinnacle wholesalers (3 font/tap $495 + $46 delivery)
- Grain & Grape (3 front/tap $635)
- Keg King
- One Stop Bar Shop (says they upgrade a lot of the fittings/valves to Stainless Steel and/or better quality components)

I am looking for a 3 font/3 tap setup with a tower cooling fan to keep the beer cold all the way to the glass. I'll also need all the connectors, hoses, valves, gas bottle, 19 L kegs, etc. to go with it.

I am happy to spend more money on better components IF it does equate to an increase in quality (ie. better beer and/or significantly longer component life), as I would ideally like to buy everything and then have very little, if anything, to upgrade over the next 10+ years. I've heard some people say the cheaper components aren't very good (especially the standard taps the kegerators come with) but then others say that they work perfectly and have had no issues. So I'm confused on what to think and if it's worth spending $300-500 more on supposedly better components.

Another option I've heard people recommend is to buy the kegerator on its own, and then buy separately all your own valves, fittings, connectors, hoses, fonts, taps etc. Then you don't waste money on the cheaper components that you just have to replace in 12 months anyway. This sounds good in theory, but again not sure where the best place to buys these are, and I could see it becoming quite messy and a hassle.

Any recommendations/suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated by this newbie :)

Cheers,
Adam

I just brought a Keg King one. Comes with everything you need. Throw the plastic taps that come with it away and fit 3 new perlick's from cheekypeak brewery in Sydney.

The perlick's cost a fair bit of extra coin but god damn they are the best beer taps i have ever used.

I also got the fan kit from keg king and i think its great, keep's the font nice and cold complete with condensation if that's your thing.

Also Keg King have a new model coming out in about Jan/Feb 2014 i think. The fridge is ALL stainless (no plastic), looks mint! Real industrial/kitchen looking.

Holds 4 kegs too i believe, i tried to buy the prototype model they had in the shop but they couldnt let it go as they were still testing it.

adzr said:
Hi all,

I'm a long time beer lover but new to homebrew and am looking to get straight in to kegging with a kegerator. (I know you can convert regular fridges but I won't be going down this path for a few reasons). I've been doing a lot of research on what to get, where to buy and what to to look out for when buying a kegerator/keg setup, and am unsure of which route to take. Note I'm from Melbourne.
Mind if I ask your reasons for not going a converted fridge?
I've been using a converted fridge for the last 2 and a bit years and I much prefer it to my mate's keg king kegerator (the hops, icepack and zooper dooper storage in the freezer was a big bonus)
I'm in the process of building a keezer at the moment only to increase my storage space from 2 kegs to 6 kegs at a time

A decent H/B store will upgrade the hardware by just charging the price difference.
ie upgrade to perlick 525ss should only be about $35 - 40 a tap

more than likely grain and grape , keg king and one stop are all selling the keg king model

you will also want to upgrade the drip tray to a ss wrap around as the plastic one supplied only fits the single tap tower properly, the double and tripple towers need the collar to sit on top of the drip tray to fit properly

You could easy make one like this, takes 6 kegs with 4 on tap Steves.jpg

Hey Boonchu what size freezer is that? It looks like the perfect size for me.

Fents said:
Also Keg King have a new model coming out in about Jan/Feb 2014 i think. The fridge is ALL stainless (no plastic), looks mint! Real industrial/kitchen looking.

Holds 4 kegs too i believe, i tried to buy the prototype model they had in the shop but they couldnt let it go as they were still testing it.
Any idea what the cost of that new puppy would be?

Its a 200L prossmo from masters Nu-brew
$300 brand new when I bought it.
Has a 200ml high extension collar to allow 2 full size kegs to sit on the compressor step
With a huon pine front.

Cheers Boonchu! 300 is pretty cheap for a brand new freezer! I'm looking for something in the 200litre region, with 3 or 4 taps.

I've got a Keg King kegerator and I'll put in my 2c.

For ease of use and no messing around, the pre made kegerator is a good option. Buying direct from KK is also beneficial as you can save on GST paying cash.

Also, for all those saying DITCH THE TAPS, GET PERLICKSKSKSKSK!!!1111 ... yeh sure if you have the extra cash go ahead and do that at the same time. But I've had no problems with my taps, and I've had my kegerator nearly 12 months. They are due for a good break down and cleaning which I might do this weekend, but really they will do the job just fine until you decide to upgrade.

adzr said:
I was wondering what your thoughts are on buying a kegerator from the following places:
- Pinnacle wholesalers (3 font/tap $495 + $46 delivery)
- Grain & Grape (3 front/tap $635)
- Keg King
- One Stop Bar Shop (says they upgrade a lot of the fittings/valves to Stainless Steel and/or better quality components)
AFAIK the KK and G&G kegerators are the same.

maldridge said:
I've got a Keg King kegerator and I'll put in my 2c. For ease of use and no messing around, the pre made kegerator is a good option. Buying direct from KK is also beneficial as you can save on GST paying cash. Also, for all those saying DITCH THE TAPS, GET PERLICKSKSKSKSK!!!1111 ... yeh sure if you have the extra cash go ahead and do that at the same time. But I've had no problems with my taps, and I've had my kegerator nearly 12 months. They are due for a good break down and cleaning which I might do this weekend, but really they will do the job just fine until you decide to upgrade.
Maldridge do you have the partial plastic taps or the full plastic ones?

I've got a Keg King kegerator and I'll put in my 2c.

For ease of use and no messing around, the pre made kegerator is a good option. Buying direct from KK is also beneficial as you can save on GST paying cash.

Also, for all those saying DITCH THE TAPS, GET PERLICKSKSKSKSK!!!1111 ... yeh sure if you have the extra cash go ahead and do that at the same time. But I've had no problems with my taps, and I've had my kegerator nearly 12 months. They are due for a good break down and cleaning which I might do this weekend, but really they will do the job just fine until you decide to upgrade.

You're lucky then mate (or I'm unlucky), I got 3 months out if the plastic taps before they stopped sealing, gone with 4 perlicks now and regret not getting them to start with.

Donske said:
You're lucky then mate (or I'm unlucky), I got 3 months out if the plastic taps before they stopped sealing, gone with 4 perlicks now and regret not getting them to start with.
I've only got one tap which was the brumpy style on the long shank from KK and I had it stick and gum up once but that was because I changed a keg and didn't clean my lines during the changeover and left it sitting (no starsan spray at the end of the session like I usually do)... pulled it apart and a good PBW soak, then applied food grade lube in the right places and it's been going solid ever since, no leaks, no gumming, no sticking.

I'll upgrade to Perlicks one day, but sometimes you don't always need the best of the best to serve a purpose and function.

The new ones are all plastic and really do a disservice to k k and their kegerators.

I know OP didn't mention but a mate sent me some pics of a kegerator available at Costco. You need to become a member, but could be worth it...

Does anyone have any idea if they're any good or had a look over them?

Looks to have a single tap, beer lines & a regulator

costco kegerator 1.jpg

costco kegerator 2.jpg

costco kegerator 3.jpg

costco kegerator 4.jpg

Mind if I ask your reasons for not going a converted fridge?
I've been using a converted fridge for the last 2 and a bit years and I much prefer it to my mate's keg king kegerator (the hops, icepack and zooper dooper storage in the freezer was a big bonus)
I went down this path too. I was lucky enough to score a newish 520L upside-down frost free fridge for not much.
It fits 6 kegs and I'm currently awaiting a two more taps to arrive from the US to make 6, taps are at a perfect height, easy to get kegs in and out, no condensation problems that I've heard about with keezers, freezer space etc.

toolio666 said:
I know OP didn't mention but a mate sent me some pics of a kegerator available at Costco. You need to become a member, but could be worth it...

A new player on the market! Nice find, I don't know how I missed it when I went to costco last...

toolio666 said:

ANy idea what price they were asking?
Looks good to me.

Latest posts

Back