Kegbot (flow meter and digital taplist) project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old thread but anychance you want to post up a build guide and software code. love to build something like this myself.

old thread but anychance you want to post up a build guide and software code. love to build something like this myself.
Look up raspberrypints theres good info on setting it up i have nearly all the gear to do it myself just havent got around to finishing it off yet haha

Click on the eBay in my original post, linked them already ;)
mate my only query with those would be the min flow rate of 1L/min seems a bit high?, and can they handle the cold inside a fridge? i got some a while back and they are rated to -20deg and min flow rate of 0.6L/min - 5 L/min cost me i think about 45$each

mate my only query with those would be the min flow rate of 1L/min seems a bit high?, and can they handle the cold inside a fridge? i got some a while back and they are rated to -20deg and min flow rate of 0.6L/min - 5 L/min cost me i think about 45$each

I’m still using these a couple of years later, work great and no issues. I find the whole setup to be accurate within 1-3 schooners which has been useful for me.

I’m still using these a couple of years later, work great and no issues. I find the whole setup to be accurate within 1-3 schooners which has been useful for me.
Have an interest in this....

I have been trying with XAMPP and phthon2.7 on an old windows laptop.

The file structure on GitHub is driving me nuts.

Have you any clues where the main web config files and the database structure can be found.
Thanks

Have an interest in this....

I have been trying with XAMPP and phthon2.7 on an old windows laptop.

The file structure on GitHub is driving me nuts.

Have you any clues where the main web config files and the database structure can be found.
Thanks

there was the first update in 5 years released this week... the original dev looks to have taken some interest again.

min a complete Linux noob and have to hack it together every time I rebuild. The forum is still active at forum.kegbot.org

there was the first update in 5 years released this week... the original dev looks to have taken some interest again.

min a complete Linux noob and have to hack it together every time I rebuild. The forum is still active at forum.kegbot.org

I have had a bit of experience with Linux. But still its a massive learning curve.

It knocks out a lot of potential users.

Having a simple hosted solution, our downloadable package that plugs in to Wordpress or Joomla.

Would certainly gain some widespread acceptance.

I will keep at it.

I have had a bit of experience with Linux. But still its a massive learning curve.

It knocks out a lot of potential users.

Having a simple hosted solution, our downloadable package that plugs in to Wordpress or Joomla.

Would certainly gain some widespread acceptance.

I will keep at it.

There is a pretty good updated guide on the forum for kegbot. it is essentially:

Install Ubuntu (use noobs it's very straight forward)
Run the kegbot scripts
Profit

I have to reinstall every year or two for whatever reason and there is enough info to put it together. Happy to answer any questions but you'll get a lot more help over at the kegbot forums

edit @bmloho Kegberry Single-Line Install Script

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear about the longevity of these meters, and expecially how well they endure beer line cleaning.

The flowmeters appear to be a turbine type, ie, positive-displacement. As the turbine turns, a hall effect sensor is tripped for every (x) volume units. This should help with the low-flow accuracy. Unfortunately it'll also add a bigger pressure drop, and thus I'm interested to hear if foaming becomes an issue. I doubt it, as you have placed them near the kegs and they have a 1/2" bore.

The chemical resistance of these flow meters is really good so I do not see that being an issue. We use similar type in our Fill O Meter and by the looks of the photo they are from the same factory. My only issue with these is that I dont feel they are that sanitary the way the flow meter is designed. I would really prefer to see a no-contact method of reading liquid level in the keg in my opinion. Capacitive sensors exist and are sanitary but very expensive.

This company here uses the similar type of hall effect flow meter too:
https://kegtron.com/
We purchased some of these some time ago but due to how difficult they were to sanitise and clean we did not stock them.

The chemical resistance of these flow meters is really good so I do not see that being an issue. We use similar type in our Fill O Meter and by the looks of the photo they are from the same factory. My only issue with these is that I dont feel they are that sanitary the way the flow meter is designed. I would really prefer to see a no-contact method of reading liquid level in the keg in my opinion. Capacitive sensors exist and are sanitary but very expensive.

This company here uses the similar type of hall effect flow meter too:
https://kegtron.com/
We purchased some of these some time ago but due to how difficult they were to sanitise and clean we did not stock them.
What about an airlock of sorts that measures the volume of gas being displaced from the keg?

What about an airlock of sorts that measures the volume of gas being displaced from the keg?

We have a new RAPT gas controller device that will be able to measure volumetric gas that goes through the device. So this new device will primarily be used for carbonation, leak detection and can give you an indication of how much gas you have left in the CO2 cylinder.

This is very much in the infant stages of development at this stage but as you have suggested we might be able to use this for gas displacement in a beer keg and use this to work out how much beer is in the keg.

So far we are getting an accuracy on the device of 5-10% but as we develop the product further I am hoping we can get the device to measure volumetric gas flow even more accurately. Even if it's only used for carbonating it's quite a useful device. So you can crank the gas pressure up to 50-60psi and then it will carbonate your beer really fast and once a specific volume or grams of gas has been measured it can turn off a solenoid preventing you from over carbonating. I think it will be are really popular product once completed but we still have a lot more work to do no this one.

Back