Keg2bottle ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
Plan on putting some beer into bottles from a gassed keg using a counter filler.
How long will the beer be good, 1 - 2 weeks???

Normell

Normell,

1-2 Weeks will be fine, as long as the beer is properly carbonated it doesn't matter.

One thing I always find with my CP filled bottles is that they generally seem to go a bit ordinary over time, particularly, lower grav, highly hopped beers. Probably a good idea not to keep them too long. Hop aroma dimishes more rapidly than with primed beers.

Another thing I learned the hard way. Don't counterpressure fill half-pissed. :blink: I got quite a few beer showers that way.

Anybody owns and suffers the horrors of a CP filler, should know what I mean.

Gas, purge. Gas, purge. Gas, turn on beer, bleed gas slowly, fill bottle, turn off beer, purge remaining gas, pull filler out, cap as quickly as buggery.

Lots of margin for error. <_<

Having an assistant helps. But if assistant is pissed it spells double trouble. ;)

Warren -

You got me chasing my tail now Pedro

Normell

Is a counterflow unit really worth while?

edit - I meant counter pressure filler

I bottle the last out of my keg straight from the tap if i need it for a new ale & find it's perfectly carbonated 3 months later - So i'm guessing it will stay that way. As i fill the bottle it foams a little in the neck, purging any oxygen out.

So how does a conterflow improve on this?

Ross said:
Is a counterflow unit really worth while?

I bottle the last out of my keg straight from the tap if i need it for a new ale & find it's perfectly carbonated 3 months later - So i'm guessing it will stay that way. As i fill the bottle it foams a little in the neck, purging any oxygen out.

So how does a conterflow improve on this?
[post="52154"][/post]​
Dunno really, but given the choice I would use a CPF.

http://brewiki.org/CounterPressureBottleFiller

Shows a very simple yet effective design which doubles as keg 2 keg transferrer.

Sorry - i meant counter pressure filler - i'm full of cold & not thinking too straight.... Need another ale...

Ross

If yours are fine then I wouldn't worry.
I think the advantage would be if you are loosing too much carbonation filling straight from the tap, or if they are going to have the S*#T shaken out of them there is no chance of oxidation using a CPBF.
Bu if it aint broke don't fix it (unless of course you just like collecting shiny brew toys :p )

Hoops

Love toys - that's my problem :D :D

If it's shiny stainless steel I can't help myself :D
Here's a pic of mine
post-6-1085461240.jpg

looks the biz....

just don't post pics of your conicals when you get them - Envy, envy...

Very elegant setups Sos and Hoops. :)

I cheated and bought mine from ESB. Cost about $80 from memory.

Only problem is... Doesn't matter how well setup and/or made a CP filler is, can anybody make the things easier to use? They're very prone to brain farts and protracted setup issues.

I see you mention on Brewiki Sos that yours gets wet and wild too. I take it you've had the odd beer shower as well. :blink:

Somebody's got to make one that's user friendly.

Problem I find with mine is the reluctance to drag the thing out, clean it up, set it up, freeze my bottles (mandatory for CP filling) and do the biz for one or two bottles for a function, meeting or whatever. Always seems to be some sort of wastage factor.

Only time I ever like using the thing is for bottling complete batches of Barley Wines (allows control over carbonation) or bottling Belgians after long storage. With this process I CP bottle the beer flat after transferring to another keg with a jumper hose and add priming sugar and fresh yeast to reduce O uptake.

Got to be an easier way.

Warren -

Back