Keg With Bung Hole

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corey,
Why not put a thermometer in there. ;)

Al.

That's a good idea.

I'm specifically looking for advice as to how I could seal the bung hole. It would a good 30-40mm in diameter.

Do I need to seal the bung hole? Do you think a bung would stay put?

Corey

30 to 40 mm is quite large and it would be risky trying to seal it with a stopper, especially when it is going to be full of boiling wort. I got a small stainless steel plate welded over the inside of the holes on my kegs. Naturally you need the top cut out first.

Cheers
Pedro

Corey,

Like Pedro says I wouldnt advise using a stopper! if it came out the flow rate would be large messy and potentially dangerous.

I put a thermometer with a 1/2" MPT thread in my HLT pot. The hole i made was probably 30mm in diameter which i put a brass fitting and nut on the back (cheap plumbing shop stuff). I sealed it with a red fibre tap washer. The thermometer then screws into that. I'll take a pic and post it.

Cheers.

looks like my kettle it be a legal on me thinks plus i cut the top out welded some s/s handles and welded a plate over the hole and it works ok for me

as an idea
could see if the element from one of those 10.00 big w kettles fits in there - then u have a heating elemnet for the kettle.

The element hole in the Big W kettle is 38mm - so you maybe lucky.

I used a 38mm hole saw to "install" one in my HLT and it fits perfectly. You probably have a mill eitehr way to play with so if its 37 to 39mm you can probably fit the kettle element in.

Good thinking GMK !!

Hope thsi help.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

An element is a good idea too. I guess my only concern would be that I'd need at least 30L in the keg to cover the element if it was installed through the bung hole.

You really need the element at the bottom of the wort so it heats all of the wort and makes the boil roll.

Cheers
Pedro

why not put the element in.
Make a stand so that the keg lays flat with the element on th ebottom.

Then cut a hatch in the side that is now the top....

Insert a tap at one end.

Job Done.

The keg is barrel shaped so there would be heaps of deadspace if I was to lay the key on its side and use the end of the keg as an outlet.

OK....

Just a thought.....

No wise cracks now...

Back