Keg Volume Effect On Carbonation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
I am wondering if keg volume effects carbonation? I figured this was covered, but nothing really came up from the search.

Last weekend I carbed up an APA (~15l) and a Porter (~17l). I left them at ~30kpafor a few days (the pressure I was serving my ESB at), but then got sick of waiting and jumped up to 100kpa for two days, then dropping off to 50kpa for serving today.

The APA was all good - mid level carb and pretty decent. The Porter was still borderline flat though.

I am trying to figure out why. I figure it can only be:

- volume
- style
- a leak in my porter keg (hopefully not)

What do you think?

As far as I could figure its nothing to do with volume as your keg is still under same pressure at the layer if beer. Keg doesn't get gassier as you drink one does it. I hook all mine up at serving pressure and leave them gassed at that. Takes about a week and jobs right. Chris

yeah, the volume matters. You will gas faster with a lower liquid volume in the keg.

It will equalise at the same point, but it will get there faster with a smaller volume, so if you are gassing by putting top pressure on the vessel at significantly above the equalisation pressure, you will see a difference.

2L seems a fairly small volume difference to make such a noticable carbonation difference... but I guess that when you are only talking 15L its more than 10%, so who knows? I suppose you do now.

Back