Keg travel recommendation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zensome

Reaction score
I will be filling 2 kegs on the weekend to take to Fraser next week (first test of the new jockey box), as I am unsure of how kegs travel I am looking for recommendations on the best procedure.

It will be a 4-5 hour trip, kegs will be as cold as I can get them before I leave and wrapped to hopefully keep them as cold as possible. Most of the way is just highway but there will be 50-60 kms of beach driving so potentially a bit of up and down. Should I carb before I go or wait until I get there and carb them? Should I let them sit for some period of time before I put them on tap (might be difficult)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carb before you go (saves messing about when you get there). Will be fine with travel. Keep things away from posts or better yet protect posts from the Murphy's law things that could happen, like something resting on top of the post moves and pushes the valve in, resulting in beer everywhere.
You'll have some of the sediment from the bottom of the keg mixed up for a little while before it settles again, so the first few pours won't be as crystal clear as you may be used to, unless you filter.

EDIT: Best stand the kegs upright if you can, but not critical if protected.

I took a 19L corny from Mel to Pambula last years, 8hours on the drive. It was already carbed and no issues in transit or when we got there. I'm sure will be fine.

Firstly, good on ya mate for getting out there and taking the kegs with you. The jealousy is strong as I wrote this...

Having never done this myself I can't say which would work, but I'd imagine with some serious beach driving it would create quite some turbulence in the kegs, depending on how much head space is left. I think if you want to be drinking soon after you reach your destination you'd need to have them pre carbed. Otherwise if you force carb as soon as you get there you would need to wait a little while for the beer to settle. However you might need to wait for a carbed beer to settle a bit anyways. Hard to say but that's my 2 cents.

I find any sediment in the keg, can be re suspended on long trips, carb at standard, upon arrival let settle if you've got time, degas and gas to pouring pressure

I would certainly carbonate before leaving and on arrival chill as soon as possible to help sediment settle. If your not worried about a bit of sediment particularly on the first couple of pours then fine. If you are, then can to transfer (rack) to an empty keg and then carbonate. This would eliminate most of the sediment.

If you are, then can to transfer (rack) to an empty keg and then carbonate.

This is the way to go. If you don’t have a spare keg you could carb and condition in a cube then rack to the keg just before you travel. If you condition in cubes first the beer will also clear faster than in kegs.

Thanks everyone, will carb before I go and let settle as long as I can when I arrive.....it won't be long enough but the appearance of beer has never really been a thing for me, it just needs to be cold and tasty. Will post a couple of pics on my return of how it went.

Cheers
:bigcheers:

A timely post, i will be filling my first keg being a 4l ikegger and going camping this weekend. Temps will be low so unlikely to need refrigeration although taking a 50l Waeco with me, i have just the basic picnic tap for so now so after reading above comments should i also be carbing first ?

A timely post, i will be filling my first keg being a 4l ikegger and going camping this weekend. Temps will be low so unlikely to need refrigeration although taking a 50l Waeco with me, i have just the basic picnic tap for so now so after reading above comments should i also be carbing first ?

Yes, will carb much better at home when thoroughly chilled. Do you have other kegging gear or will you be carbing it with the mini c02 injector?

Go with earle and carb at home and really chill it down. Remember if you are not going to keep it chilled as it warms up you could get foam/over carb issues therefore releasing some pressure before each pour may be required.

Yes, will carb much better at home when thoroughly chilled. Do you have other kegging gear or will you be carbing it with the mini c02 injector?

Being my first foray into kegs i only have the mini co2 injector for now but plan on a mini reg upgrade soon.

Being my first foray into kegs i only have the mini co2 injector for now but plan on a mini reg upgrade soon.

No worries, those mini co2 bulbs work out pretty expensive for co2 so when using them you want to get the most bang for buck. Chilled down beer absorbs co2 most easily so doing that you'll get better carbonation and waste less co2.

I only have the same picnic tap fitting my my mini keg but as I have other kegging gear I hacked the top by using a piece of tubing and a stainless steel carbonation cap (which has a ball lock post). Now I can carbonate or top up carb levels at home using my 2.3kg co2 cylinder and only need use the mini injector for dispensing pressure.

I'm a bit lost earle, doesn't the mini keg have a ball lock connection on the cap? Therefore just connect your 2.3kg bottle as normal?

I assumed by basic picnic tap he meant this one

accessories-the-flexi-tap-1_e1787382-1232-4063-98b3-8bbb41077f07_1200x.png

I just came back from a bucks. I had 6x 9.5l kegs in the back for a 5-6 hour trip. All set ready to go before leaving, I just let them settle over night and chilled a few hours the next day before using. All worked perfectly.

Latest posts

Back