Keg Transfer Made Easy...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
I know this method was posted a long time ago by Zwickel, but having used it again this morning to transfer a keg for the Qld swap, I just had to post some pics & explain it.
Transfering beer from keg to keg can be a real headache, with the recieving keg foaming up as it transfers. This method transfers the beer with perfect pressure balance, with the result being a perfect transfer. It's so simple, but never even gave it a though before Zwickel enlightened me.

Simply connect the 2 gas posts of the 2 kegs together, having purged the recieving keg with CO2 first - This equalises the gas. Then simply connect the 2 beer posts together. Put 1 keg below the other & then give the relief valve of the lower keg a quick release to start the flow. The beer fills the bottom keg & the CO2 from the lower keg transfers to the top keg as it drains. The system is totally closed & in balance :super:
As you can see from the pic taken straight after transfer, the recieving keg had no foam on it to speak of :)

Beer transferring
Transfer_001.jpg

Inside recieving keg straight after transfer
Transfer_002.jpg

Cheers Ross

So it's just a quick pop of the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg and then it's the magic of siphon and gravity that does the rest?

What's up with that second photo? Looks more like dishwater than beer?

Don't worry I have faith in it being good tasting dishwater if it comes from Carbrook :)

So it's just a quick pop of the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg and then it's the magic of siphon and gravity that does the rest?

Yep, spot on :)

++++

Zizzle - That's the CO2 in the keg giving the haze....at least I hops so :unsure:

cheers Ross

Ross would this method work with one of your filters in the middle?

Ross would this method work with one of your filters in the middle?

It probably would, but would take a little time, but I guess in a closed system, time wouldn't be too big a problem. Not sure why you'd want to, since if you have kegs, you more than likely have gas?

Cheers Ross

It probably would, but would take a little time, but I guess in a closed system, time wouldn't be too big a problem. Not sure why you'd want to, since if you have kegs, you more than likely have gas?

Cheers Ross

yer true gas would be the g.o.

Thanks

Big keg to party keg, blending, sharing.
:rolleyes:

Ross thanks for the refresher, I only managed to half fill my party keg halfway last week before the foam started pouring out :( .
Cheers
Doug

Why would you want to transfer from one keg to another?

Rook

Why would you want to transfer from one keg to another?

Rook

Rook,

If you let your beer settle in the keg rather than filtering, it's a good way of transfering off the yeast once its cleared, plus party kegs etc...

Cheers Ross

First time poster, long time lurker. Have had all my questions answered until this one!!!!!

If you were transfering from a 18 litre into a 9 litre party how do you know when it is full???

There is obvoiusly a simple answer to this one!!!!

First time poster, long time lurker. Have had all my questions answered until this one!!!!!

If you were transfering from a 18 litre into a 9 litre party how do you know when it is full???

There is obvoiusly a simple answer to this one!!!!

Beer in both lines. Of course.

FROGMAN

when the smaller keg gets full, beer/foam gets into the gas line, then stop it, or just use a scale.
Cheers :beer:

If you let your beer settle in the keg rather than filtering, it's a good way of transfering off the yeast once its cleared,

Ross,

I'm assuming the settling (top) keg must have a shortened dip tube for this to work, otherwise won't you just transfer the sludge as well?

Crozdog

Ross,

I'm assuming the settling (top) keg must have a shortened dip tube for this to work, otherwise won't you just transfer the sludge as well?

Crozdog

That would do it, or you could simply pour a couple & drink them, to clear the yeast around the diptube.

cheers Ross

Thank you very much Ross, for the compliment calling me a legend :)

I try everything to do as simple as possible.

instead of shortening the dip tube you may bow it to the edge of the keg like that:

1575.JPG

so the sludge stays in the middle.

edit: spelling

I had reason to do this today,works a treat.
Very worthwhile post,I have pinned it

Batz

Back