Keg Transfer Made Easy...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've transfered with success all the time with this method. Cold of course.

Has anyone transfered like this from a full warm keg to empty warm keg with success?

I know warm kegs sit at about 25-28 psi, I want to take a couple of 19 ltr full cornies away over Christmas , and 2 x 5 ltr minis. I'll only have refrigerated room for the minis, so when I empty a mini, transfer fill it up from my bulk supply cornies and chill down the mini before serving.
Purge and pressurise mini to same level as big keg. Do you recon the principle will work with warm kegs?

I'd try it at home first but running out of time this week, hectic time of year.
Cheers

I've done this fairly often between commercial kegs and my own cornies, works great.

Coldspace: Should be fine, especially if your destination keg is colder than the source keg. Counter-pressure filling works fine at room temp. Just dont burp too much pressure too soon. Make sure the source keg is entirely at equilibrium pressure though, first (as in, if it's warm, make sure it's been warm for 6 days, not 6 hours).

That's great news, thought it would be fine. Kegs will be stored under the caravan, each day or 2 counter pressure fill the mini keg.

Can't wait for holidays....

Just started transfering for a few reasons. Random question, has anyone come up with a good way to clean the transfer line? With ball lock connectors on both ends, it seems to be a bit of a pain. I am thinking I might get some new connectors with the MFL screw joints so I can disconnect and flush the line easily, but wondering what other people do.

bwhouse. I use a spare keg pressurized with Sodium Percarb. Sometimes use something that can push the pin in the unconnected disconnect to let it flow through. If no spare keg on hand I always have 2lt PET bottles with the carb caps. One with sodium Percab and one with Star San. Pressurize the bottle and/or squeeze it to push solution through the line.

bwhouse said:
Just started transfering for a few reasons. Random question, has anyone come up with a good way to clean the transfer line? With ball lock connectors on both ends, it seems to be a bit of a pain. I am thinking I might get some new connectors with the MFL screw joints so I can disconnect and flush the line easily, but wondering what other people do.
I have one of these in the middle between the connectors so I can drain it.
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/RIECYHUL-hoses-and-fittings/7JOHN%20GUEST%20CONECTOR--john-guest-straight-connector

Thanks guys, good tips. Looks like I will need to get another carb cap.

I have always liked the idea of John Guest connectors but wondered how they faired over time with constant disconnects and re-connects.

I just tried this for the first time with a bunch of plastic bottles for camping. So quick, clean and easy

Will this method work for the minikegs?

And also, I don't keg currently, so if I get a 19litre keg and store beer thats been fermented but not carbed in there can I keep topping up the minikeg until the big keg is empty?

I know it sounds crazy, but yada yada yada, been given permission to get a minikeg, just not into kegging...just yet. So working out temporary (I hope) solutions to the problem of storing the rest of the beer if I don't want to bottle. a batch that doesn't fit in a minikeg.

Is there any other answers to questions I haven't thought of yet?

Nullnvoid said:
Will this method work for the minikegs?

And also, I don't keg currently, so if I get a 19litre keg and store beer thats been fermented but not carbed in there can I keep topping up the minikeg until the big keg is empty?

I know it sounds crazy, but yada yada yada, been given permission to get a minikeg, just not into kegging...just yet. So working out temporary (I hope) solutions to the problem of storing the rest of the beer if I don't want to bottle. a batch that doesn't fit in a minikeg.

Is there any other answers to questions I haven't thought of yet?
I use this method to transfer into my mini kegs from my corny. Though we're talking carbed beer.
Are you planning on getting a co2 bottle (eg 2.6kg)? If you can get one it would help. As the level of the corny drops you are going to use a fair bit of co2 (if you are using bulbs) as it get down towards the end.

bevan said:
I use this method to transfer into my mini kegs from my corny. Though we're talking carbed beer.
Are you planning on getting a co2 bottle (eg 2.6kg)? If you can get one it would help. As the level of the corny drops you are going to use a fair bit of co2 (if you are using bulbs) as it get down towards the end.
Yeah, as luck would have it, I have a CO2 bottle. Empty but have one. Although no regulator so I am guessing I will have to get one of those.

Nullnvoid said:
Yeah, as luck would have it, I have a CO2 bottle. Empty but have one. Although no regulator so I am guessing I will have to get one of those.
Bummer - had I known that last weekend we could have worked something out!

Does anyone have a solution to the flow stopping? I use this method however I have to pull the PRV about 10 times during a transfer as the flow stops...

Does anyone have a solution to the flow stopping? I use this method however I have to pull the PRV about 10 times during a transfer as the flow stops...
Shouldn't need to happen... Blocked flow? Over gassed? Maybe gas is coming out of solution and mucking up the syphon... Could try adding another psi to the headspace.

You could also try an increase the vertical separation (hydrostatic pressure) to keep the flow going. In theory you only need to have the level of beer in the target lower than the level of beer in the source, but I find mine works well if there is a whole keg height difference.

Latest posts

Back