Keg Transfer Line

• Thread starter die sudhausanlage
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

die sudhausanlage

Hi guys, I have to transfer beer from one keg to another. Do I just get 2 black outlet (beer) disconnects and a length of beer line between them.

Is this the way or do you use an line out from full keg to a line in to the gas on the other keg?

A little confused as the search yeilded nothing for me.

DS

For some reason I thought you went from a black D/C (OUt) to a grey disconnect (IN) when jumping from keg to keg but I am not 100% sure on this.

I would love to know the answer too...

die sudhausanlage said:
Hi guys, I have to transfer beer from one keg to another. Do I just get 2 black outlet (beer) disconnects and a length of beer line between them.

[post="46839"][/post]​
I've never done it myself, but thought about it. I'm sure you are correct. If you connected it to the gas-in, the beer would fall from a very large height, and I don't think that would be a good thing on several counts. I think if you did it with the full keg sealed and used only just as much CO2 pressure as you need to push the beer through, that would be the way to go. If the beer is not carbonated the other keg could be left open, though a quick purge with CO2 would obviously be good. If the beer is carbonated, I think it could get a bit trickier and you would need something more like a counter-pressure setup, or at least need be very, very gentle; have your beer as cold as, and have the keg you are transferring to as cold as (to keep as much Co2 in solution as possible). Even so, you will surely get foaming. Only way to avoid that would be with counter-pressure arrangement.

Steve

I use two beer disconnects connected with a length of line. I've been doing this for a while now and it works really well for me. Once the two kegs are connected it's just the matter of pressurising the OUT keg and periodicaly releasing some gas from the IN keg. This is best done cold.

arthur said:
I use two beer disconnects connected with a length of line. I've been doing this for a while now and it works really well for me. Once the two kegs are connected it's just the matter of pressurising the OUT keg and periodicaly releasing some gas from the IN keg. This is best done cold.
[post="46849"][/post]​
As Arthur said
Gas onto beer out keg, release pressure on beer in keg.
Can see flow in clear line.
Best if both kegs are chilled.
Same procedure as filling a keg, once full BURP the keg
Done it heaps of times, can get some interesting 2 beer blends going.
Normell

Thanks Guys will try the beer disconnect out (full keg)to the beer line on the other keg(empty keg). Thanks for all the advice, you all have been a great help.

I hope this post has helped a few of us along the way too.

Die Sudhausanlage

Slugger,

By filling via the out disconnect you avoid oxidising your beer, same as though you were siphoning, you want to fill from the bottom, just leave release valve open on the keg you're filling...

Yep, makes sense ross. (i just have 1 of each free so i was hoping.. haha)

if u dont have a keg 2 keg line, there is currently an ebay item for this from bluestone brewing ? i bought one before & very good quality. pricing from memory was about $30. had 2 beer/black disconnects i *think* (also bought a pair of grey/black disconnects, which are screw on ....)

Sluggerdog, I guess you could use your gas disconnect; lay the beer out keg flat with the gas in disconnect on the bottom, then have the second keg underneath with the disconnect on the beer in poppet, so it is more like racking from a fermenter.

Jovial Monk

slugger,

i'm sure you can push the grey in connector onto the out post anyway, just not the otherway round from memory...

Thanks Guys, I will give that a GO before going out to buy a new disconnect!

Ross said:
slugger,

i'm sure you can push the grey in connector onto the out post anyway, just not the otherway round from memory...
[post="46922"][/post]​

Yep, gray disconnect fits on both so I'm safe with what I have.

:super:

i picked up a spare keg down pipe from my local HBS - This enables me to connect my filter output to it for when I want to fill a cube rather than another keg, it comes in very handy, especially when you're down to your last keg... :beer:

Something that hasn't been mentioned here is it's important to keep the head pressure of the source keg higher than that of the receiving keg. If they equalise the transfer will stop.

An easy way to make this happen is by leaving the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg open during the transfer.

Also watch the transfer like a Hawk;

If you don't pull the disconnect from the receiving keg when the delivering keg is about to kick you get a nice helping of spooge from the bottom of the delivering keg in your receiving keg.

It makes a hell of a din and defeats the purpose of what you originally set out to do in the first place, rack bright beer to your receiving keg.

Warren -

Shifting topic just slightly from what Warren was just spooging about, how long is your dipstick?

Do people's dipstick go right to the bottom of the keg? Has anybody cut a cm or so off the tip to improve the clarity of pickup? If so, what is the ideal length to cut, bearing in mind the compromise between achieving bright beer and minimising dead space. 5 mm? 10?

Steve

Talk to Chiller,

He has his beer out lines cut by 2cm (I think that is right) off the bottom and also uses gelatine to clear the beer.

The gelatines makes everything settle in the bottom - hence the reason for cutting the lines - so u dont get sludge.

Latest posts

Back