Keg Tap with ball lock attached

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys
See image,
Anyone use these taps like this. I was going to put taps on fridge,
but seems a lot easier and can take places. I think I have enough space above inside fridge.I assume the angle over the edge to pour beer. Anyone know how tall they are ie how much space you need if using inside fridge,

Annoying cannot edit title, should be ball lock ..Admin :)

thanks

cheers

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
If you want to use one of these on a corny full time, I would get one with flow control.

Without FC you need to run the keg at very low pressure which will not be enough to maintain carbonation.

They work OK for mini kegs but 5L doesn't last anywhere near as long as 19L.

An alternative is to set up taps on a fridge and just use a picnic tap when you want to take a keg somewhere.

Thanks - So with flow control you can have high pressure in keg but pour slowly from tap, or at least control the flow...durr sounds obvious :), but makes a lot easier? I dont see this type with flow control. I see 80 mm taps with FC. Thank you

Last edited:
The picture you posted is made up of three separate components that all screw together.

MFL ball lock liquid disconnect
MFL shank (basically an adapter that allows you to screw a tap to a disconnect)
Tap

It is cheaper to buy chinese ones as a kit, but you can get better quality.

MFL liquid disconnect - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BALL-LOCK-Disconnect-MFL-THREADED-for-LIQUID-MULTI-BUY-Home-Brew/282588226821?var=581762510699&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=47326&meid=fe5c6b0ed17349cfb1580c903074f2d6&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=252106073406&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
MFL Shank - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Free-Shi...295794?hash=item43ffcae4f2:g:TbgAAOSwCU1Yxnkw
FC Tap - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intertap...247560&hash=item3ac7412122:g:4PgAAOSwZ1BXfGuL

The links are just examples, can probably get better deals if you shop around.

The chinese ones go ok, I use them as portable taps, but I would reccomend getting better quality if it is going to be your daily driver.

You can, yeah. As per @Lionman you'll go best with flow control taps. Still run your keg at normal carb pressure (say 0.8-1 bar), use the flow control to restrict the flow out of the tap.

I've just tried it on a full 19L keg running at about 0.9 bar on a camping trip and it worked perfectly, although the beer poured a lot quicker than it normally would in my keezer through lines. The Intertap FC works great, and I'd recommend using one of the stainless disconnects that have their MFL horizontal rather than the plastic ones (which I've used in the pic below) which angle the tap up like in your example pic. These are the bits that I'll use next time (just switching the disconnect) and would work fine for you, although there are cheaper alternatives out there:

http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-...fc-tap-only-stainless-steel-flow-control.html
http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/taps/mfl-tap-shank-adaptor.html
http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-...ss-ball-lock-disconnect-mfl-black-liquid.html

If you want to use these particular parts I can measure up the height when I get home tonight - my guess would be somewhere around 100-120 mm from base of the disconnect to the top of tap handle though.

Keg and tap.jpg

Thanks @Grott . Wow 8psi, is that because you have flow control? And is that because sodastream gas bottle for travel?
Thx Meddo

Last edited:
No flow control on my tap and now use soda stream bottle instead of the bulbs as they are expensive and once attached can't be removed. Because the tap is connected directly to the keg, no beer line, 8psi is great.
please note:- it is best if the glass is cold for the pour, I rotate glasses from the freezer.

Grott, so do you use the soda stream for all your gas, no other bottles? How long do they last for you.? Interesting also is that the gas is in the fridge which I thought effect pressure because cooler.?

Ha, not the gas in the fridge, the glasses for the beer.
Only use the soda stream gas for dispensing (will dispense about 45 x 4 litre kegs). I have two other gas bottles. A 5kg which I use for purging kegs and force carbonating kegs and a 2.6kg which is outside the beer fridge but dispenses beer from the kegs in the fridge through taps on the fridge door.

Quick question, does anyone use these taps in the fridge instead of putting tap in fridge door. I understand flow control, but I actually use a picnic tap in the fridge atm, I just keep the pressure at usable pressure and when finished for the day or night just qive it a little gas to replace what I used, works OK.. The only issue I can see is I will have to to turn the tap to the close the door, but I think I can live with that :) cheers

Anyone use these in their fridge? See photo in first post, thanks

there's nothing wrong with it. a bit more fiddly because you need to keep adjusting the pressure, but perfectly OK way of doing things

its my temp setup until i get a new keezer collar going

I just spoke to someone who says that the tap with disconnect can be hard to pour (ie tap is stiff) so when 1/3 full (ie as the keg gets lighter) it can move or rock the keg as you are pouring? Is that true? Have you found this?

So happy to see this topic as I saw the same ebay buys and pondered the pressure problems. Answers many questions for me. Thanks.

Just wondering if you get a strap with velcro or something a wrap around another keg or attach to something for some stability.. that is when in the fridge ofcourse... or if at party maybe strap around table leg or something.. cheers

Latest posts

Back