Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to make my first keg setup in my bar including 2 keg setup, dual font tower with two taps, 6.8KG CO2, regulator, disconnects, lines, etc etc. I already have the fridge sorted.

I want to get a quality, value for money system.

Couple questions.

1. Taps. What taps should I invest in? I was thinking about getting forward sealing, flow control taps and have been reading about the perlock. Any thoughts?

2. Regulator. Do regulators come with reverse flow protection OR do I need to buy the applicable adapter?

3. I am located in ADL. Is it best to source the lot from a single LHBS or should I shop around at various outlets? If a single LHBS store, can anyone make a recommendation?

4. Does anyone have a ball park figure of how much it should cost?

Thanks for your help!

1. Taps. What taps should I invest in? I was thinking about getting forward sealing, flow control taps and have been reading about the perlock. Any thoughts?
Definately go the flow control perlicks

2. Regulator. Do regulators come with reverse flow protection OR do I need to buy the applicable adapter?
Not normally. You'll need to get a seperate one (or more - some people run 1 per keg to prevent backflow between kegs)

3. I am located in ADL. Is it best to source the lot from a single LHBS or should I shop around at various outlets? If a single LHBS store, can anyone make a recommendation?
You'll probably get the perlicks alot cheaper if buying from the US, although you then don't get any local support. Get a quote from your LHBS and see what it comes in at.

Hey Hammer,

I'm very interested to hear the responses as I too am about to set up a similar system.
Re gas... If you didn't want to purchase? Stargas do a 6kg bottle rental for $5 a month with $20 refills delivered to your door!!! Just thought I'd mention it to you

Cheers Matt

Hey Hammer,

I'm very interested to hear the responses as I too am about to set up a similar system.
Re gas... If you didn't want to purchase? Stargas do a 6kg bottle rental for $5 a month with $20 refills delivered to your door!!! Just thought I'd mention it to you

Cheers Matt

Matt,

You can also try SpeedGas at Manly Vale

Cheers.

Cheers for the replies.

You'll probably get the perlicks alot cheaper if buying from the US, although you then don't get any local support.

This was one reason why i was thinking LHBS for the majority of the items. Non important items - say dril tray could be sourced anywhere.

Get a quote from your LHBS and see what it comes in at.

Yep this is the plan. Was hoping any ADL ppl might be able to steer me in places to not bother with (ie ones which usually charge too much)

Re gas... If you didn't want to purchase?

Unfortunately I am in ADL and a quick google shows Stargas doesnt do ADL. when i looked into rental previously, buying them would pay for themself in a few years.

TeSuCo regulators have a checkvalve built into the nipple/barb outlet

Yep this is the plan. Was hoping any ADL ppl might be able to steer me in places to not bother with (ie ones which usually charge too much)

Sorry, my reply there sounded really rude and arrogant.

You'll probably find your LHBS prices individually will be alot higher than you can find online. Most of them (the good ones anyway) should beable to give you a much better price if you get them to do a full package though.

Some good online suppliers are

http://www.mybeershop.com.au/ (also known as CNCCupcakeworld on ebay)
http://www.chicompany.net/

and of course the site sponsors.

1. Taps.
I purchased my perlicks just before the flow control ones were released and have no problem balancing them. However if the price is similar, go the flow control for easier use.

If you plan on staying with a 2 keg system, just get one check valve per keg, however using a manifold that includes a check valve is likely a better option for more kegs.

4. Does anyone have a ball park figure of how much it should cost?
~$50 per keg.
~$50-70 reg
~$100 fittings (quick connects and JG style snap fittings)
~$50 each tap (not sure of flow control price, tap/fitting estimate includes combined shipping cost from USA)
~$30 beer line
~$10ea check valve
~$200 CO2 bottle, $50 refills (don't know price to hire)

Sorry, my reply there sounded really rude and arrogant.

Not at all!

TeSuCo regulators have a checkvalve built into the nipple/barb outlet

so with this regulator i wouldnt need the reverse flow protection?

My feel on cost from a LHBS in ADL is:

~$70 per keg.
~$100 reg
~$100 fittings (no idea, copied from Wolfy)
~$80 each tap (perlick flow control)
~$30 beer line
~$25ea check valve
~$350 6.8KG CO2 bottle, $60refills (don't know price to hire)

I dunno....adds up pretty quickly.

For 2-3 kegs you'd be fine with a 2.6kg CO2 bottle ($200 filled). Should be good for carbing and dispensing about 10 kegs.
$30 refills.

For 2-3 kegs you'd be fine with a 2.6kg CO2 bottle ($200 filled). Should be good for carbing and dispensing about 10 kegs.
$30 refills.

trying to find the sweet spot for value....

2.3kg ~ $250 refil $27.20 = approx 10 kegs use
4.5kg ~ $299 refil $40.40 = approx 20 kegs use
6.8kg ~ $350 refil $54.20 = approx 30 kegs use

I think the 4.5 or 6.8 are better value. Refills get better value as well + dont have to get them filled as often.

I assume that if there are no leaks, the gas lasts forever?

I think the 4.5 or 6.8 are better value. Refills get better value as well + dont have to get them filled as often.

Yes, gas will last for ever (basically - don't come back with 20 year old gas thats contaminated and blame me :icon_cheers: ).

One thing you may want to consider in value is that if (when) you do have a leak - a smaller bottle will cost you less in losses.

Makes me want to cry what I pay for gas compared to 10 years ago.

batz

The problem is that if you have a serious leak you don't know about then you lose a whole 6.8KG bottle rather than a 4.5KG bottle.

I think I've lost about 1.5 bottles to small leaks in the past.

Probably a good idea to go with a TeSuCo regulator so you don't need a checkvalve, and if you decide to run a large number of taps, then get a manifold with built in check valves, really helps with carbination not having the kegs able to cross-carbonate

a smaller bottle will cost you less in losses

very good point there! To prevent gas loss, do people generally turn off their C02 kegs when not in use? OR do you leave the pressure in the system constant - ie ready to pour a beer at any time?

Is there any need to go for a dual regulator? ie run two kegs at different carbonation levels? OR can this be achieved simply by adjusting the amount of force carbonation, then having the kegs at the same pressure.

Couple more dumb questions,

1. what are shanks used for?

2. Is there any need to go for a stainless steel font or would chrome do the job? im guessing SS is the xtra bling....

thanks again everyone!

very good point there! To prevent gas loss, do people generally turn off their C02 kegs when not in use? OR do you leave the pressure in the system constant - ie ready to pour a beer at any time?

Is there any need to go for a dual regulator? ie run two kegs at different carbonation levels? OR can this be achieved simply by adjusting the amount of force carbonation, then having the kegs at the same pressure.

Couple more dumb questions,

1. what are shanks used for?

2. Is there any need to go for a stainless steel font or would chrome do the job? im guessing SS is the xtra bling....
I'm not sure how many people turn off their CO2, I know that I don't. ;)

Dual regs allow you to serve the beer at different pressures (maybe you have a UK ale and a EU Weizen you want to have on tap at the same time), it also allows you to carb one keg at a higher pressure while serving the other at a lower one. Not sure it's worth the extra cost.

Beer taps are not designed to directly connect your beer lines, instead they attach onto a font or screw onto a shank. The shank acts as the connection (think threaded tube) between the back of the taps and (via a hose barb or JG-type fitting) your beer line. You said you have a fridge, so essentially the shanks will be what passes through the wall/door of the fridge, tap screws to the shank from the outside and the beer line connector is attached to the inside-end of the shank.

You don't actually see the shanks so it's not really a bling factor, for me it was more a cleaning and maintenance issue - and then if your taps are stainless do you want to run the beer through chome first?

Look out for a cornelius dual reg, those have built in check valves. Also the Harris single reg meant for commercial premises but used by lots (ok, some) homebrewers has a built in check valve. Come up second Han on eBay and gumtree every now and then.

Seriously, i've been kegging for 5 years, I'm not *that* careful, and I have NEVER had a gas leak.

Had plenty of leaks in commercial setups, but that's usually more down to morons kinking gas lines and whatnot. If you use proper stepless hoseclamps, and you're careful of your lines, you shouldnt ever have an issue.

Latest posts

Back