Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baybrewer

Reaction score
Hi to all

I have been a guest on this site for a couple of years and brewing for about the same time,in bottles.
Recently,well about 4 mths ago,I sent away for my 4 x 19L kegs from CC's and promptly(9 weeks)my bottling saviours arrived pressurised and with new seals supplied.Stoked....
My journey continues......

After pricing bits,looking at Ebay and on this site for the things I need I am a little confused and want to get it right first time.

I know topics like this have been posted here before but they never seem to be specific to me.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for advice on the following:

I am looking at setting up a 2 x tap,upright fridge setup,I have a spare fridge at home but it would only fit 2 kegs in plus shelf storage above.Do I need cold conditioning/cubing room also?
Would I be better off selling this and looking for a bigger fridge?
If so how big,how many litres?
Where do I get cubes from and how big are they?
I like the look of GMK's Taps are they easy to clean?
Do all fonts fit all taps?
What sort of dual regulator to get,Harris?
SS Ball disconnects or plastic??
How much hosing what diameter,clamps?
I will probably bite the bullet and lease CO2 cylinder from BOC to get started,any thoughts?

Anyone with a setup for sale or parts please let me know.
I am based in Brisbane.
Thanks in advance,I am out of HB and need to get up and running again.

Zak.

:beer:

I'll help you here to the best of my ability.

In terms of your fridge, it is up to you - I personally have a fridge that holds 4 kegs, and will have 3 taps to it. (just a matter of getting 2 more taps).

GMK's taps are great, I personally prefer this style of taps to the others because not only do they look better, but they pour better and are incredibly easy to clean.

The cubes i believe you can purchase from bunnings and will hold a full batch with little headroom (i believe they are 20L jobs, correct me if I'm wrong).

I think just go for the plastic dc's. There really is no need to go ss straight out.

There are a number of sites about beer system balancing that allow you to calculate what diameter of beer line, length etc to get a perfect pour. I use 4mm line for my tap, and 6mm line for my gas. This is just the way my system ended up because my tap has a 4mm john guest fitting to the shank.

All fonts with the snaplok fitting will fit the taps with the snaplok fitting. GMK's taps have this fitting.

I think I've answered everything. If not, let me know and I will see if i can help.

Cheers,
Chris.

Hi
Found this forum a few days, ago lots of great stuff.
Been bottling for a few years but picked up 6 (ball lock) kegs, fitings (grey / black) and reg $100 the lot, seemed like a bargin but no tap or gun. Current beer fridge will fit four kegs with door liner gone, have two

I too need advice as taps, I want removable (teen age kids and easy cleaning) taps and was planing on two taps with space for a third.

The local brew shop has a nice tap, forward pull, no spings, pulls apart in 5 seconds for cleaning, ball lock fitting flush with door, only problem $220 each ouch! Any other suggestions as to suppliers for like?

Pardon my ignorance but what is a GMK tap?

All the best. Peter E.

First off, welcome to the forum. I have learnt everything I know from reading these pages. There is a wealth of knowledge available here to improve everything related to your brewing!

I'm sure GMK will introduce himself in this post sooner or later :) I hope that he's not a tap...

Anyway, for a site that I've found that lists most of the available taps Beertech give this page a look. I have the ALUMASC tap, which kicks ass. The taps GMK sells are the floryte taps. These are all snaplok (ie, removable to clean) and use a commercial fitting.

Not affiliated with the above site by the way. :)

Cheers.. with much beers.

- Chris

I've posted this in another thread, but as for tap cleaning..

After every keg i fill the cleaned keg with hot water and phos, and plug in the tap disconnect. The hot water causes stem which forces the mix up the hose and out the tap.

I recently had to pull apart a tap for the first time after 6 months use as the seal went. Apart from the dodgy seal, the tap was spotless inside.

So i wouldn't worry about how easy they are to clean, just shove beer cleaner or phos through them after every keg, and rebuild once a month.

I also recently learnt that while andale rebuild kits cost like $3 each, the ones for the pacific lancer taps are three times that.

hi guys

I sell Floryte Reconditioned taps (65.00 ea) when i can get them and/or
Stainless Steel Grundy/brumby taps (95.00ea)
Both taps need a snaplock fitting - i sell Brand New Stainless Steel Frisge Extension with Snaplock Fitting and SS Nipple for 55.00 ea.
Harris Dual Gauge Regs for 80.00ea.
www.andale.com.au will show u the taps and fridge extensions.

Easiest to clean, use and pull apart/recondition are the Grundy taps - also dont need to rekit them as often as the Floryte.

Just PM me with any questions and i am happy to help out where i can.

Thanks for all the answers to the so many questions I have,much appreciated.

Ok.Decided I need a bigger fridge,room for expansion-more taps,but mainly more storage,conditioning space.
Pardon my ignorance but are cubes just any plastic container.eg h2o 20l containers or is there a style that fits better in a fridge?

Thanks jgriffin for the cleaning tips,just like bottling,sanitise,sanitise,sanitise.......

Bouncingcastle thanks for the welcome and Beertech link.

GMK think I will pm you soon with an order.
Noticed in your photo of your setup,on a previous post,you appear to have Floryte taps;yet recommend Brumby?

I like the look of Alumasc & Floryte,is the extra$$ justified for the Alumasc?

Thanks again
Zak

my setup is 7 years old - grundy are new style current technology...

Your call.

Baybrewer: for cubes any plastic container will do, as long as it is food grade. I use square 20L ones that were originally used at work for demineralised water. 2 of these fit nicely side by side in my fridge (and they're free). The downside is they have moulded feet, so getting in to clean them is a bit harder, but they make fantastic traps for sediment and give a nice clean beer.

Other people prefer the taller ones, as in theory there is less surface area open to the air at the top, and if you have a tall fridge they will take up less space.

Sorry to crap on like that, but I hope I answered the question

Back