Keg-primed Beer...drinking It Early?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Ok, the situation is that I have a brew in a keg which I bulk primed whilst filling.

My brother has a going-away party tonight, but the beer was only primed/kegged on Tuesday.

If I hook up a tap and syphon off most of the sugar/sediment sitting at the bottom and then apply carbonating pressure for a few hours does anyone think it will be even close to drinkable?

Just don't want to take cases of bottles to this event as I'll never see them again or have a lot of bottle cleaning to do!

Worst case scenario I'll just take a few cases of Reschs Real...shudder :eek:

PZ.

Should be fine but could be a bit sweet still from the bulk prime?

Fingerlickin_B said:
Ok, the situation is that I have a brew in a keg which I bulk primed whilst filling.

My brother has a going-away party tonight, but the beer was only primed/kegged on Tuesday.

If I hook up a tap and syphon off most of the sugar/sediment sitting and the bottom and then apply carbonating pressure for a few hours does anyone think it will be even close to drinkable?

Just don't want to take cases of bottles to this event as I'll never see them again or have a lot of bottle cleaning to do!

Worst case scenario I'll just take a few cases of Reschs Real...shudder :eek:

PZ.
[post="80292"][/post]​

Take a taste, that's the only real way of knowing :chug:

Why did you prime it in the first place?? Appears you have CO2, so surely could have just kegged & carbonated it on Tuesday :blink: ...

Ross said:
Take a taste, that's the only real way of knowing :chug:

Why did you prime it in the first place?? Appears you have CO2, so surely could have just kegged & carbonated it on Tuesday :blink: ...
[post="80295"][/post]​

Thanks fellas, I guess a taste-test wouldn't hurt :)

In regards to priming, I had two reasons:
a - It's a pale ale that I like cloudy and when in bottles I purposely disturb the sediment to get it that way.
b - Still waiting on my Co2 cylinder, so conserving SodaStream gas ;)

PZ.

I'd think that the beer should be gassed, as long as the keg has been in a warm spot (say 20C), and most of the sugar will be consumed.

As the experts say, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. So taste it first. Could be good to go.

Best of luck.

BTW, I've had a weizen that I primed. Put the bottles on a heat mat, and the beer was gassed within 2 days (this Winter). Weizen is generally good to drink as soon as it's gassed. Well, IMHO, anyway.

Seth

Fingerlickin_B said:

If I hook up a tap and syphon off most of the sugar/sediment sitting at the bottom and then apply carbonating pressure for a few hours does anyone think it will be even close to drinkable?

PZ.
[post="80292"][/post]​

The suggestions of tasting it are the best first step.

Second, I would think its unlikely there's solid sugar at the bottom of the keg, it should all have dissolved.

My standard method for gassing up a keg is to put it in the fridge overnight to get it nice and cold, hook up the gas at some high pressure (I use something like 40psi - sorry for the funny units), and shake the crap out of it for 5-10 minutes. Its usually ready to go right then, if a little on the cloudy side.

Of course the real problem is that once you have gassed the keg up, you still have that excess sugar in there which will increase your carbonation. That won't be a problem if you intend to finish the keg off tonight, but might be if you leave it for a week or two.

Berp.

Latest posts

Back