Keg Presures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazey

Reaction score
hay guys, i'm kind of new to this stuff and have just pcked up my first keg system. the guy i bourt it from said to leave the gas at about 300 kpa to prime for a week then 180 to pour. this sounds a bit high to me. what do you think

Howdy,

300 would be ok to gas with, i leave it at about that for almost 2 full days to gas mine. To pour 180 sounds a tad to high. I usually pour at around 60 but just play around with the pouring pressure and you will get it to what suits it best.

Cheers

thanks mate thought a week at 300 sounded a bit high

haha yeah it does. You would then have to leave it for 3 days out of the fridge with the release valve open to degas it!

Yeah i would give that a go first. Whenever i leave it at 300 for 24 its no where near gassed enough.

On my system I do 300kpa for 48 hours. Works for me.

Beers,
Doc

cold conditioned keg ... gas for 24hrs

...but, warm beer from the racking cube ...gas for 48hrs

this was one of those things noone told me when I first started kegging ;)

I gas and serve at the same pressure. Beer pours perfectly from the first pint or so.

Usual practice is to just gas at 100 kPa. Shake the crap out of the keg for about 5 mins. Turn off the gas and remove the disconnect. Put the keg back in the fridge (3 degrees). Leave for 24 hours and repeat this process another 2 times for 3 in total.

For English Ales I just do the same thing but drop the pressure to 80 kPa.

Gets me a grand total of 15 minutes exercise a week. Good excuse for more beer. :lol:

Here's more detailed instructions.

Keg Carbonating Guide

Warren -

Or, even better if you have the time, patience and kegs balance the system.
Carbonate at your dispensing pressure.
It might take upto a week, but hey, the beers still maturing as you wait.
There's no faffing about with pressures and no uncertainty

I'm running my CC also in fridge; so the beer is about 2-3 degrees when put into the keg and gassed at 300kpa for 24 to 30hrs for good. If I leave virtually no gap at the top of the fermentor it takes just over 30hrs, 2-3 inch gap 24 hrs is heaps. I do find after another 24 hrs at 100kpa (serving pressure) it is a better /smoother gassing.

Kev

i gess every one dose it a little difrent then. i'll just have to keep brewing more and more till i get it right.

mazey said:
i gess every one dose it a little difrent then. i'll just have to keep brewing more and more till i get it right.

[post="64781"][/post]​

Here'e IMHO the easiest/quickest way to get consistant carbonation:

After filling the keg (upto the weld mark just below the top) with cold beer turn pressure upto 300 kpa & rock keg back & forth on its side (inlet at bottom) for 50 seconds. Turn off gas (on main bottle) but continue to rock keg while monitoring the pressure dial. You will see the pressure full back quite quickly & then stabilise (100 - 200kpa). The goal is for the pressure to fall back to between 140 - 160 kpa depending on your preference (140 pommie ale - 160 Aussie beer). If the pressure falls well below 140 kpa, just turn gas back on & rock for another 10 - 15 secs, then recheck & repeat as necessary. I find that 60 secs is nearly always about the mark. Then all you have to do is release the top pressure valve on the keg (normally a couple of hours later to avoid foam flying out of the valve), connect to your gas (making sure you have set pressure back to 80 kpa or whatever you like to dispense at) & you will pour a perfect beer.

P.S. If you use this method to carbonate a keg that's not full, then reduce your rocking time accordingly, otherwise you'll over carbonate even at 50 secs...

Hope this is of help to some - I know everyone has their tried & trusted methods, but many are hit & miss without experience...

The first keg i did I overgassed it and lost 3/4 of it. Since using Ross's method I haven't overgassed a keg yet

Nico

Ross said:
mazey said:

[post="64781"][/post]​

Here'e IMHO the easiest/quickest way to get consistant carbonation:

After filling the keg (upto the weld mark just below the top) with cold beer turn pressure upto 300 kpa & rock keg back & forth on its side (inlet at bottom) for 50 seconds. Turn off gas (on main bottle) but continue to rock keg while monitoring the pressure dial. You will see the pressure full back quite quickly & then stabilise (100 - 200kpa). The goal is for the pressure to fall back to between 140 - 160 kpa depending on your preference (140 pommie ale - 160 Aussie beer). If the pressure falls well below 140 kpa, just turn gas back on & rock for another 10 - 15 secs, then recheck & repeat as necessary. I find that 60 secs is nearly always about the mark. Then all you have to do is release the top pressure valve on the keg (normally a couple of hours later to avoid foam flying out of the valve), connect to your gas (making sure you have set pressure back to 80 kpa or whatever you like to dispense at) & you will pour a perfect beer.

P.S. If you use this method to carbonate a keg that's not full, then reduce your rocking time accordingly, otherwise you'll over carbonate even at 50 secs...

Hope this is of help to some - I know everyone has their tried & trusted methods, but many are hit & miss without experience...
[post="64784"][/post]​

How bloody easy was that?

160 on the knocker! :beerbang:

Now, what can I do for 2 hours?

I know! :chug: :chug:

Best bit of advice I have seen on the whole forum!

Cheers...

M

Except...

I am one of those blokes who sticks his CO2 bomb inside the fridge at 2 or 3 deg C. So when you use a cold bomb as a source for forced carbonation do you think I'd need a longer period of rocking with the gas on at 300 kPa ? I'm just figuring that the volume of gas released at 300 kPa at 4 deg C must be less than that released at 300 Kpa and 25 deg c or is this insignificant ? :blink:

I've noticed the gauge on the regulator that is supposed to tell you how much gas is left in the bomb is affected by the temperature of the bomb, when its inside the fridge it drops to the grey area which says "refill" so that initially I thought I had a leak (as so often happens). But the weight was pretty much the same so I figured it was just a PV/T = k effect...

Goose

just a little help needed guys. my first time gassing

i want to gas my keg the easiest way possible. i was thinking of just connecting the gas at 100 and leaving for 5 days or a week.

1.does it matter if the beer is warm or cold doing this way.(can i rack to the keg then connect the gas and let the beer get cold over the next few days while its gassing up?)

2.if i decide to try a beer earlier is this going to affect the gassing of the keg overall.

3.doing it this way, and after a week its a little undergassed do i just raise it up an extra 10kpa for a few more days and so on untill its gassed properly.

hope this makes sense ive done a heap of reading and this sounds like a good idea to me.

There are a few different ways Kingy. What ever is easiest for you. The beer will accept more gas the colder it is. If you do like you said it will take a bit longer than 5 days. Probably a few weeks, so if you are going to do this you need to have some beer already to drink. :D

1 - yes, colder beer absorbs more co2
2 - no, drink away
3 - yes

Sounds like you know what your doing and will get the hang of it easy.

Back