Keg Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
Just a quick on

I carbed up my keg last week and left the gas on to balance out the carbing. I then turned the Gas bottle off as I had a leak a few weeks ago so wanted to avoid loosing the whole bottle again. To Gas up I turn up to around 280 psi and leave for 24 hours then turn back to serving pressure for a few days.... During this time I had two kegs on the Gas and didn't lose the bottle to a leak.

My question is, when I turn the Gas off the needle still shows the serving pressure. After 24 hours the needle has now gone down to 0. Does this show that I have a leak still or has the beer just absorbed the gas and the pressure has dropped? Does the needle on the reg show the pressure of the keg once the gas bottle is turned off?

Cheers, Camo

Still a leak I would say. Beer wouldn't absorb that much, and it should hold it.

I may be wrong though.

Have you tried the starsan in a spray bottle test and looked for bubbles?

Still a leak I would say. Beer wouldn't absorb that much, and it should hold it.

I may be wrong though.

Have you tried the starsan in a spray bottle test and looked for bubbles?

I have tried the soapy water spray trick but didn't notice any big bubbles.... Might have to give it another go.

Disconnect the QD from the gas in and isolate the leak to keg/regulator. You might have a leaky post and nothing wrong with your regulator etc... Or vice versa.

With the cylinder, tighten the regulator nut warm instead of cold.

If its a very small leak from the reg, I'd suggest taking the QD off the kegs and turning the pressure up high before doing the soapy water checks.

So am I correct in that the Reg Dial should show the pressure even with the bottle off?

Yea, 2 dials, one for the bottle and the other for the kegs. The keg side should show pressure if you connect it up to a pressurised keg.

Edit: bloody autocorrect

Small tangent but still on pressures. I have found my kegerator pours beer better with nice head about 4-6 psi instead of 10 as once the key is carbed its half a glass of foam at 10 psi. I hooked the keg up at 10 to let it carb over a couple weeks but need to turn pressure back down. Will my beer loose that carbonation level. Same problem once I hook the next keg up at 6 psi it will be too flat maybe. I'm I thinking along the correct lines here

I find the same.

Once it's carbed up - 40kPa does me. I let it force carb for a week at 100, then drop the gauge back, use the PRV to reduce pressure and that does it.

Otherwise, even at 90kPa I end up with half a glass of foam.

Hehe. Your lines might be too short and you are discovering you like less fizzy beer ;)

PS: I wonder if the newer taps like the Perlicks are smoother and overall, changes in technology cause the pressure drop across them to decrease, throwing formulae out of balance.

An often neglected source of leaks is the release valve on the keg lids. It can be intermittant too.

Well I like fizzy beer better and I've got 2m beer lines. So I'm thinking if it's carbed then dropped it shouldnt loose carbonation. Just have to mess about when I'm carbing the second keg that's all

Well I like fizzy beer better and I've got 2m beer lines. So I'm thinking if it's carbed then dropped it shouldnt loose carbonation. Just have to mess about when I'm carbing the second keg that's all

Is it the first beer that is half a glass of head or is it every beer?

My first glass was half foam until I rigged up a comp fan and hose to blow the cold air up the font.... Now my first beer is only slightly more foamy comapred to subsequent beers in a session.... Last time I checked my font now sits around 6-8c.

I pour the first 50 ml odd off before I pour my first glass for the day. It has been fine untill now as it was still carbing as I was drinking. I went away for four days and Now it's pretty well carbed and just poured foam. As soon as I reduced the pressure to 4-6 psi about and burped the keg she was perfect pour, head size everything every glass my bro and i were pouring. A fella I was talking to told me to try dropping the pressure as that's what he runs his at

I just don't want it to go flat because I dropped the pressure as it was awesome last night

Yeah it's very helpful. I came home yesterday to a near empty bottle of gas as its leak around the weld around the neck of the bottle. Not happy

Id suggest turning your gas off and disconnecting at the end of your drink. If your keg is degassed in the morning then its got a leak somewhere. Sometimes the disconnects themselves can even leak throughout the night. I would consider narrowing it down with process of elimination. Good luck

Well after going insane with spraying everything with detergent and not sure what "bubbles" i was looking for I think i finally found my leak! Well I have found 1 leak anyway but the bottle is empty again so need to wait to find more!

I wasn't sure if I was looking for big bubbles or just little ones... Everywhere I sprayed I could see little bubbles but they were just from sraying the soapy water on the surface.... Today I thought I'd give the regulator a spray and found that the JG fitting connecting my Gas line to the reg was leaking out the top where it screws in.... I have tried tightening it but it still leaks.... I am going to buy some gas line tap tomorrow to see if that will fix the leak.

It feels so good to have finally found the leak! (until I get another!)

we need to know some more info to assist with carb level etc..

line ID
line length
Temp
pressure

for me

5mm
2.5 mtrs
2 deg
90kpa

Latest posts

Back