Keg Polishing On The Cheap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
I've seen some beautiful results from people using a 4, 5 or 8 stage process to clean and polish their kegs.

But I'm wondering if I can get away with say 10% of the effort and cost to achieve half of the result?

My 2 kegs perhaps look a little like this http://toadyus.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/cornykegs.jpg (Image from some dudes blog at http://toadyus.wordpress.com/). I've already scraped the sticker off and given a light rub with fine steel wool just to get the sticky bits off, so it's just got the little scuffs all over.

If I wanted to allow say 30 min per keg, $20 all up - anyone think there's a single shot process that would give an okay result?

If you've gone the whole hog and have some beautiful SS pics for me, then feel free to gloat, I mean share. But I'd really like to cut some corners with this one if anyone has suggestions.

But I'm wondering if I can get away with say 10% of the effort and cost to achieve half of the result?

Yes I too am keen but I will accept say 20% of the effort and cost to achieve the same result. Alternatively 40% of the effort and cost to achieve twice the result sounds ok too.

I've already scraped the sticker off and given a light rub with fine steel wool just to get the sticky bits off, so it's just got the little scuffs all over.

Sorry to say but ordinary steel wool would be a no no on stainless as the steel can embed in the stainless and then rust leaving rusty patches.
An ordinary green scrubby(plastic of some sort) would be better. At work I've used some scotchbrite and spun the workpiece and can get a nearly mirror finish.

Hmmm I wonder If I could sneak my kegs in and mount them in the lathe somehow. :ph34r:

I used to have a car polisher from Super Cheap. handles on each side, electric of course, and was quite good. This would give you 0% real effort on your behalf using one at, if I recall correctly, $20.00 or so. Call it a $10.00 purchase for kegs cleaning, $10.00 purchase to sex up the car.

Have a look at Bunnings. They have a kit that bolts onto the drill, and has 2 rag wheels and 2 bars of polishing shit.

Basically use the first rag wheel and bar to get it close, then the second wheel and bar to make it shine. Will take 30mins a keg if your not in a hurry.

Have a look at Bunnings. They have a kit that bolts onto the drill, and has 2 rag wheels and 2 bars of polishing shit.

Basically use the first rag wheel and bar to get it close, then the second wheel and bar to make it shine. Will take 30mins a keg if your not in a hurry.

Is this the unit Kev?

I've always wanted to shine my stuff up, but never had the motivation, but $19.97 is pretty cheap motivation.

Is this the unit Kev?

I've always wanted to shine my stuff up, but never had the motivation, but $19.97 is pretty cheap motivation.

The ones I'm using is a different brand, but looks like exactly the same thing. If you get motivated you can wet sand them to help get out scratches etc, then progress into the polishing process. But if your after the quick and dirty give them a good scrub clean and jump to it. They are pretty easy to do. The more time you put into it, the better the finish.

got one of these at my disposal, for the bigger jobs

polisher.jpg

;) :D

Latest posts

Back