Keg Not Holding Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently got a keg sent over from BD and when it arrived it was pressure tested.
i.e. I could burb the keg as there was gas inside.

Anyway I filled this keg up with beer yeasterday and I go down and look at the keg and the lid it is pressure tight.

What would cause this and how can I fix it?

Little worried as at the same time my gas bottle ran out of gas so I cannot gas it until I get that back and full..

Thanx

sluggerdog,

Did you change the O rings etc before using your new kegs - mine were delivered still holding pressure, but found on the "out" connectors on some of the kegs the O rings just crumbled away - if I hadn't noticed i would have lost my keg of beer....

nope, didn't change anything however I did buy the reconditioned kegs from BD rather then the unconditioned ones, I thought this way it would be fine.

sluggerdog said:
nope, didn't change anything however I did buy the reconditioned kegs from BD rather then the unconditioned ones, I thought this way it would be fine.
[post="47077"][/post]​
I ordered new o-rings for my soda-kegs and rotate them out every 5th batch. It may not be necessary, but I figure by leaving them uncompressed for a bit it might extend their useful life. They're not that expensive and can save you some heartache over a spilt or perpetually flat batch.

Pepsi puts new gaskets in their kegs once per year. The gaskets are color coded by year: Red, Yellow, Blue, Black.

Wether you get your kegs from USA or AUS it is simple if you test the pressure with water with detergent in a spray bottle.
No leaks - No problems
Leaks - Then deal with it!!!!! :lol:
Cheers

Back