keg meter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mischa62

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. Im looking for something thats similar to the kegbot or keg meter that can tell me how many glasses are left in a keg. i brew into 50litre kegs and its a real bummer to have that thirst and find you have just poured a glass of foam to find out that you have run out.
is there any links to anything even if its a kit type.
i have seen http://www.keg-meter.com/ but they wont respond to any communication with them.
I have seen the kegbot system but the web site shows as always out of stock on everything
Can someone give me some ideas please

To add to (when it will run out? some judgment from observation and feeling, and just gently lift the keg to check its weight.
and re- have next kegs carbonating ready to go. ;)

I concur with Danscraftbeer, the only way to avoid the stresses you mention is to ensure you have a few more well conditioned kegs ready to go. Sadly however, this is not always possible.

I use an A5 size magnetic white board pad on the fridge by the tap. I know how many pints I get out of the kegs and mark off with a marker as I go. Simple, cheap and the marker sits on the drip tray so I don't forget.
Cheers

Classic Grott + 1 for intellegents perfect solution

You know they will want a robot to operate the marker now though

I want a brew bot. Then again not. A good bot yes, to help to brew, garden etc then yes.

First up if you calculate how many glasses of beer per keg in relation to glass size and then use one of these per tap

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-0000-9999-4-Digit-Manual-Hand-Tally-Mechanical-Palm-Click-Counter-/281695689155?hash=item41965f19c3

You can also get electronic units as well.

There was discussion a long while ago on a suitable load cell to sit the keg on for weighing the beer.
I also seem to remember a stick on indicator for a keg was available at one stage, similar to a gas indicator.

I believe in a robotic solution, one with artificial intelligence which will figure out how many pints per keg and mark them off on a whiteboard for me ;)

If there's anything that's curing me of a technological solution for everything it's brewing. Right tech, right place.

I'm crapping on again, aren't I?

The simple way is to keep the keg on scales. You are getting low when it reaches the tare wt.

Mardoo said:
one with artificial intelligence which will figure out how many pints per keg and mark them off on a whiteboard for me ;)
After a few beers I think my intelligence is artificial. :blink:

Keep an eye out for the Aldi Luggage scales on special.
Best $10.00 empty keg early warning system.
Good for 40kg in 10 gram increments from memory.
Keg check takes 10 seconds.
With lots (and lots) of practice; you'll get really good at feeling for that last perfect pint.
Harry.

A bit more on the Raspberry Pints solution:
I'll be testing $12 flow meters next month, already have the tap list displaying whats on tap, other than the TV it displays on total cost will be around $100 for four taps and accurate to +/- 100ml( though some of this cost is also being used by brewpi... soon ...I hope). I'm yet to work it out but it also has a keg tracking type feature to help keep track of what's where, good when you have a dozen or so about the place. Oh and it looks freakin cool above the taps :D

MastersBrewery said:
I'll be testing $12 flow meters next month, already have the tap list displaying whats on tap, other than the TV it displays on total cost will be around $100 for four taps and accurate to +/- 100ml( though some of this cost is also being used by brewpi... soon ...I hope). I'm yet to work it out but it also has a keg tracking type feature to help keep track of what's where, good when you have a dozen or so about the place. Oh and it looks freakin cool above the taps :D
thanks mate this sounds like what im after, i have a panel mount pc available to me and am curious if this might work in some way as well?
this is similar model
http://www2.advantech.net.au/products/1-2jkjm3/ppc-l158t/mod_816a0427-5094-4969-a4bf-1b4fc6d1b642.aspx
any thoughts on if it would work or am i barkin up the wrong tree ? :)
Is the Raspberry easy to setup software wise? i have no experience with them at all i have seen them but never ever used them
What type of flow meters are you going to use the ones they recomended seem a tad bit expensive at around $80 each from USA.
Any info you can send me i would really appreciate, send me a PM and ill send you my email address if you can send me any info you have on how you have got yours working
Cheers

MastersBrewery said:
Any details on where you got the cheap flow meters. I'm having a play around with the kegbot system (I've already got most of the parts lying around, Arduino's, mini/uno/ethertens, Android tablet that I use for monitoring temps during brewing) and a some bluetooth adapters plus strain gauges.

I've converted the kegbot Android app to communicate via bluetooth and plan to use the strain gauges instead of flow meters (i also thought the $80 was expensive, plus just extra stuff to clean)

Otherwise I've got that app on a tablet above the taps showing a list on tap (pity 3 of my 4 keg are empty, need to spend more time brewing and less time tinkering) as yep MastersBrewery it's looks good.

Guy I'll post some thing tommoz when I'm at the pc.
Cheers

MB

Firstly, Raspberry pints was started by a few keen members of our sister site HBT. There are two threads the first for the Initial release, that was tap list display only, the second was the release of version 2 that included flow monitoring. Now note the swiss flow meters used by all the above mentioned keg monitoring projects were also employed here. For a good while the SF800 was going fairly cheap second hand and refurbed on ebay through a yanky seller ( 4 were like AU$150 deliver here). This source dried up so a few people have tried cheaper meters from ebay with pretty good success. Note that this means editing the file contain the tick count, and a bit of faffing about. Also note as it is; the software is set up in oz and gal so if you want metric there some more creative editing to do. These are the flow meters I'm going to try. Can't guarantee they'll work the way the swissflow ones do, but $12 to find out is pretty cheap and there are many more to try.

Back