Keg Mash Tun Idea.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Hello fellow Hb'ers.

Im in the process of making a mash tun from a 50 litre keg.

My idea is to use the keg upside down and cut the spear collar off , so Im left with a hole thats 1.5 ". Then weld a 1.5 inch elbow into the hole and use a reducer to take it down to 1/2".
Then screw in some threaded brass rod and mount my tap just outside the keg outer diameter cutting a hole for the rod to pass through the keg hand rail.
I would cut my opening in the base of the keg and sit it upside down. That way the ring around the top of the keg where the hand rails are would allow the elbow and pipe to clear the bench so I wouldnt need to mount the keg on legs or a milk crate etc.
Anyone else tried this? Ive seen taps mounted in the bottom of kegs but they all semed to require a stand or the keg needed to be sat on a milk crate so the tap was raised up to clear the brew stand

Hello fellow Hb'ers.

Im in the process of making a mash tun from a 50 litre keg.

My idea is to use the keg upside down and cut the spear collar off , so Im left with a hole thats 1.5 ". Then weld a 1.5 inch elbow into the hole and use a reducer to take it down to 1/2".
Then screw in some threaded brass rod and mount my tap just outside the keg outer diameter cutting a hole for the rod to pass through the keg hand rail.
I would cut my opening in the base of the keg and sit it upside down. That way the ring around the top of the keg where the hand rails are would allow the elbow and pipe to clear the bench so I wouldnt need to mount the keg on legs or a milk crate etc.
Anyone else tried this? Ive seen taps mounted in the bottom of kegs but they all semed to require a stand or the keg needed to be sat on a milk crate so the tap was raised up to clear the brew stand
Sounds like a good idea. Why not just go from your 1/2" reducer with a 1/2" ss nipple through the keg ring with s/s pipe then weld another male nipple to the pipe then screw on your valve?
All nice and stainless B)

Sounds like a good idea. Why not just go from your 1/2" reducer with a 1/2" ss nipple through the keg ring with s/s pipe then weld another male nipple to the pipe then screw on your valve?
All nice and stainless B)

I could do that but I already had the brass nipple. Anyone know of a good priced supplier of stainless pipe and nipples?

Something like this?

Thanks Cocko that is perfect. Going to show that to the welder at work and see what he can do for me. Ive got a company we use that is going to plasma cut the top opening for me.

Assuming your using electricity, only issue i see is what if you want to use gas down the track - future upgrades and all that..

Other than that, it's been done before and works for those that have done it.

Assuming your using electricity, only issue i see is what if you want to use gas down the track - future upgrades and all that..

Other than that, it's been done before and works for those that have done it.

Its only for a mashtun Big Nath and I have a herms coil setup for my step mashing.

Its only for a mashtun Big Nath and I have a herms coil setup for my step mashing.

I am a tool.

that'll teach me for not reading your thread title properly before posting....

carry on gentlemen.

Back