Keg Maintenance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

famousguy

Reaction score
I set up my keg gear for a bit of a test run before I get my fridge in a fortnight (...yay!...)

Is there any good way to test whether the kegs are leaking gas? I also noticed that on one keg the "out" post (liquid disoconnect) ever so slowly had the water in the keg form on top....I am guessing that this will need replacing?

smear a bit of soapy water over all connections famousguy.any leaks should show up bubbly.wouldnt hurt to put a repair kit through your outlet either just to be on the safe side.i had a leaky one recently and over night must have lost about 2 litres of beer.very messy.
keg was gassing up at the time
hope this helps

cheers
big d B)

I use one of those trigger spray/mist bottles that I fill with water and washing up liquid detergent.
When I've kegged a beer and put in on the gas I spray the whole top of the keg (in and out posts, hatch and pressure relief valve) to make sure there are no leaks.
Any leaks will show as bubbles like Big d mentioned.

Beers,
Doc

I'll have to have a closer look....but I gather visible signs of liquid coming through a post is not good.....even if it does come slowly (around 1 teaspoon over 24 hours)

The spray bottle with detergent and water sound like it could be the go! I recently purchased the kegs from TCB and haven't used them yet so I might take them back.

just as another thing to try famousguy before lugging them back to tcb why dont you try pushing in the plug in the middle of the connector a few times.it may not have seated properly.
worth a try

Can I just use a small screwdriver to push it in? obviously don't want to damage it. Also should I be prepared for a squirt in the face?

thanks for your help big_d :)

anything small will do screwdriver what ever just gently push it in a bit a few times.beer will probably shoot out a bit .keep your mouth open though you dont want to waste any beer. :rolleyes:

Ive done a bit of searching....wheres the best place to get a keg post socket???

or any TAB alternatives?? I know a spannner will do for one post, but the other??

Beerz

Linz

This was covered in a thread in the last four weeks, I think it was started by Merc's own.

The solution is to take your post (possibley still attached to the keg) to a cheap tool place like Supercheap, and get a sparkplug socket to fit.

We just cured a leaky gas post here on a keg full of beer, it was leaking around the thread. Pulled the plug out and there was no gas dip tube. Ratted through the keg bits here and there was a spare dip tube, but it didn't fit. Ratted another dip tube off an empty keg, that fitted the full keg and fortunately the spare diptube fitted into this keg.

All fixed. We only dissassemble one keg at a time and reassemble with those bits.

Thanks POL !!

I tried the search function but nothing came up. Keg maint was the closest..better to tag a thread rather than start a new one

I'll try and search out Merc's thread

-To all, Matt here in VERY WET, FLOODING, RAINING, COLD N. CALIF.

-yes, Spray bottle with soapy water to test base of post & poppet area.
-If the post interior ring is not leaking and the poppet is not leaking, yet you find fluid on the floor..... Tank Posts DO HAVE A STRUCTURAL WEAK POINT. That point is the area of the post that is UNDERNEATH the exterior O-Ring. We have found MANY post with "micro-cracks" in this area. So....if you just-can't-find-that-darn-leak.....remove the external oring and take a look.

Matt.

Doc said:
I use one of those trigger spray/mist bottles that I fill with water and washing up liquid detergent.
When I've kegged a beer and put in on the gas I spray the whole top of the keg (in and out posts, hatch and pressure relief valve) to make sure there are no leaks.
Any leaks will show as bubbles like Big d mentioned.
[post="6689"][/post]​
My spray bottle doubles as sanitizer and leak detector - gold.

pH 2 phos acid with a dash of LABS acid (substitute your favourite surfactant here).

famousguy said:
I'll have to have a closer look....but I gather visible signs of liquid coming through a post is not good.....even if it does come slowly (around 1 teaspoon over 24 hours)
[post="6690"][/post]​
The Firestone and Cornelius poppets are a different length (I think the Firestone are shorter but don't quote me). I have found "reco'd" kegs with the wrong poppets. Too short and the spring pressure is reduced => leaking.

Also I had to do some running repairs the gas in on a running keg recently. What looked like superficial rust inside the seal area turn out to be fairly bad pitting. I probably should have bought a new post but some hack work with a lathe got it going again.

keg incontinence can be a problem, but with the following advice regarding sopay water in a spray bottle is invaluable........sorry about spelling, but afte a dozen cascade premiums, what can yuo expext???

aslo very good for gas leaks full syop.!

Holding a pressurised keg under water in the pool works too :p

Thought I'd resurect this rather than start a new thread, it kinda covers what I want.

Lately if I turn off the gas to my kegs the pressure drops from 75 to 0 in around 4 hours but I can't detect any leaks in the system. Have removed the disconnects and put them in water, no bubbles the same with the lines and T fittings, have sprayed soapy water over the tops of the kegs but no bubbles?

What is happening here, is this normal, I used to leave the gas on. After changing an empty cylinder I decided to leave the gas off after gassing up to serving pressure. Next time I went to the tap, no beer, pressure had dropped to zero. If I gas up to serving pressure (75) it drops to zero in about 4 hrs without serving any beer.

Ideas?

Screwy

Screwy,
have you checked your regulator - I recently detected a leak in mine in the main diaphram seal a quick nip up with a spanner and all was good again

Franko

Screwtop, mine do the same even though they are maintained and I know the kegs themselves aren't leaking.

I like Franko's idea. I didn't know you could mess about inside the regulator.

Screwy,
have you checked your regulator - I recently detected a leak in mine in the main diaphram seal a quick nip up with a spanner and all was good again

Franko

Screwtop, mine do the same even though they are maintained and I know the kegs themselves aren't leaking.

I like Franko's idea. I didn't know you could mess about inside the regulator.

Thanks brewers, how did you detect it Franko. Come to think of it never had a problem with the old Harris, this one is a Micromatic.

Back