Keg / Line Cleaner Substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
Guys,

I've run out of the keg / line cleaner that I use, I seem to use a heap of the stuff and it's pretty pricey. Can anyone give me an alternative? Ie... can I use hot water and no-brand napisan to clean the kegs and lines?

What does everyone else use?

Cheers -Mike

hot water and some standard sanitiser does it for me.

No name napisan is used by many members. Make sure it is the unscented stuff. Rinse well with cold water and follow up with a hot water rinse, then your favourite no rinse sanitiser.

Great, thanks. So why did I have this idea in the back of my head that the sodium percarbonate would pitt or damage the stainless steel in the kegs?

Cheers - Mike

Check the percentage of Sodium Percarb in the brand you are buying. I used to buy the regular old napi-san til I read the active ingredients and found that the stuff that costs $3.50 per kilo at Aldi has nearly 20x more sodium percarb in it, and I use only about a teaspoon to clean each keg!

Check the percentage of Sodium Percarb in the brand you are buying. I used to buy the regular old napi-san til I read the active ingredients and found that the stuff that costs $3.50 per kilo at Aldi has nearly 20x more sodium percarb in it, and I use only about a teaspoon to clean each keg!

Yeah - that's the stuff I use, Aldi does some great things!

Cheers - Mike

Back