Keg land Chinese corner kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddjob

Reaction score
Hi after buying many used corny kegs ex Pepsi decided to treat myself and buy a new corny keg from keg land keg arrived noticed a pitting on the top outside weld when I looked inside the keg with a light and mirror the weld was pourus took photos sent to kegland yep bad keg send it back go an email yesterday saying the keg has a fault but good enough for homebrew call them asked to send another keg as replacement was told it would be the same ? These cheap Chinese kegs are a time bomb as bacteria gets into the poor quality welds I can see you have loads of off tasting beer blaming the yeast spending money changing things never suspect it would be the new keg. I left a message for kee from kegland to call me never did don't be sucked in with his video how the Chinese kegs are robot welded .I paid a bit more and got an Italian made keg the difference between the kegland Chinese junk and the Italian is night and day also kegland started off good now very arrogant when it comes to returns just like king keg but seems most of the staff came from there anyway it doesn't surprise me

I did warn about getting sucked in with the claim of a robotic welder which can go through a 35 mm dia hole dragging with it filler rod gas line and torch. It just goes to show the level of gullibility they expect in their customers.

I did warn about getting sucked in with the claim of a robotic welder which can go through a 35 mm dia hole dragging with it filler rod gas line and torch. It just goes to show the level of gullibility they expect in their customers.
Hi I will upload the photos so you people can see the weld inside

Should buy some proper punctuation, that was hard to read.

That's no good about the keg though hopefully you get a resolution. Never had a problem with any of the second hand kegs I've got from both Keg-King or Kegland. Because of this I can't justify buying new kegs.

I have been reading a few worrying stories about Keg Land not honouring warranty issues one with a fridge I think it was mentioned on here, and one with a Brewzilla.

Should buy some proper punctuation, that was hard to read.

That's no good about the keg though hopefully you get a resolution. Never had a problem with any of the second hand kegs I've got from both Keg-King or Kegland. Because of this I can't justify buying new kegs.
Hi I've had no problem with the second hand corny kegs either but last lot I bought looked like they came from the bottom of the sea . Kegland gave me a full refund on the keg I sent back which was fair what rubbed me up the wrong way was telling me it has a flaw but good for homebrew these Chinese kegs are going to give so much of a headache when they have a couple of years of use .seen an article about a brewery who changed so much equipment because of off tasting beer ended up boilling his kegs got good beer again for a few weeks then back to off tasting beer that's how he knew it was the keg

Well its good you got a refund, when I saw the heading of the thread I expected to see kegs in the shape of a sector.:)

Don’t they have a Kegland thread for these kind of posts?

It is possible you got a bad one.. The inside of mine is perfect?

As for the whole issue of them being Chinese, I am sure KL would have them made in Italy or whatever if people would happily pay 2x the price.

As for robotic welds... I don't see a reason to doubt that claim? I can't see a person doing the welds, they are too neat. Being stainless I don't think they need filler rod etc.

I would have thought that when welding a cylinder like this to get a good penetration of the weld on the inside of the cylinder they would have simply fill the cylinder with the weld purging gas and weld the cylinder form the outside
This is standard welding practice Dow welding small diameter pipes etc

They are all done by robot welding but from the outside, never the inside. Even if it were possible it wouldn't make sense to weld from the inside on a production line and no advantage. They all get cleaned and passivated. Not pacified as the guy in the video suggests.:)

I would have thought that when welding a cylinder like this to get a good penetration of the weld on the inside of the cylinder they would have simply fill the cylinder with the weld purging gas and weld the cylinder form the outside
This is standard welding practice Dow welding small diameter pipes etc
I've seen 50L kegs being welded and it was done exactly that way, I think it was a cold wire feed TIG welder, but it wouldn't surprise me if people were using MIG, sub-arc or even plasma welders. The problem with MIG is that unless the welder is really well set up the chance of getting a foamy weld is pretty high.
Most critical is the purging, got to put enough Argon in there to get all the O2 out, which can be expensive.
Mark

It is possible you got a bad one.. The inside of mine is perfect?

As for the whole issue of them being Chinese, I am sure KL would have them made in Italy or whatever if people would happily pay 2x the price.

As for robotic welds... I don't see a reason to doubt that claim? I can't see a person doing the welds, they are too neat. Being stainless I don't think they need filler rod etc.
Hi that's what I thought so asked for a replacement that's when the told me they're all like that .The Italian kegs do seem better made but double the price case of get what you pay for

Hi Kee from kegland just called me and we had a productive conversation he feels it was oxidation on the weld but was going to check the photos and said that after a few acid washes it would disappear also says it's had to get a perfect finish and offered to send another keg. Also agree that there are a lot of cheep bad quality kegs on the market. He took the time to call me 2 offered another keg and 3 listen to my side of it so I feel better now

Back