Keg King's 3V HERMS Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can make one for a third of the price if you like to tinker.. (and have the time/patience)

Ed: and bigger

Yob said:
You can make one for a third of the price if you like to tinker.. (and have the time/patience)

Ed: and bigger
Half the price if you watch the buy sell thread!

Only 1 element in the hlt... Ramp times will suck. I don't think it's bad value for money, but for the same price, the quality and design can be improved dramatically IMO.

I use a KK element in my HLT and while it's slow it still reaches 78c well before the mash is finished. Mind you that's using the HERMS element to bring the mash water to strike temps.

I just read that the table is not included. Add another couple of hundred to the total for a SS one.

While I like the look of the 58l kegs, at $190 ea you could get a flat bottomed pot of much greater volume.

I guess it's ok for a simple turnkey brewery at that price but agree you could make a much better system for a lot less.

Also valves are 2-piece, one would definitely be best upgraded to 3-piece for better sanitation. Also pickup in kettle is unknown, so I'd allow another $100 to sort out those fittings.

Cheers guys. That keg king element thread makes for tragic reading. And it's been going on for years from the looks?

Interesting the price gets a bit of attention for being too high, in casual conversations recently a few guys have been saying you can't buy a complete ~50l 3v system for under $2,500. And sure enough there's this over at Cheeky Peak, which does look to have much higher quality components: http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/everything-mashing/breweries-brew-sculptures/product/383-50ltr-3-vessel-brewery-brew-sculpture.

I guess that's very different from acquiring all the bits second hand over time and putting it all together yourself of course.

Latest posts

Back