Keg King ROBOBREW 35L SINGLE VESSEL BREWERY

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the build on this? Is it poorly manufactured or likely to last a lifetime?

bingggo said:
This may be a silly question, but I assume you could use this as you would a urn + voile bag setup? The instructions talk about sparging, but you could simply choose not to at the cost of some efficiency?

Also, has anyone tried no-chilling in the Robobrew and draining to fermenter the next day? I have done this in my pot on the stove with a snug lid and gladwrap to seal out air, and assume I could on this too - depending how much crap gathers on the bottom and gets through the tap.
Can't comment on the robobrew specifically but no-chilling in the kettle is fine.

I didn't say anything about gladwrap. Just put the lid on. I know it sucks air but I've done this a few times without infection. Just lucky I guess.

bingggo said:
Also, has anyone tried no-chilling in the Robobrew and draining to fermenter the next day? I have done this in my pot on the stove with a snug lid and gladwrap to seal out air, and assume I could on this too - depending how much crap gathers on the bottom and gets through the tap.

Barge said:
I didn't say anything about gladwrap. Just put the lid on. I know it sucks air but I've done this a few times without infection. Just lucky I guess.
You didn't, but the OP who you replied to did.

crowmanz said:
You didn't, but the OP who you replied to did.
Missed that.

Yes, gladwrap to seal would be a terrible idea. No chill in cube is the preferred option. I have gone to do this more than once on a brew day only to find that the cube had mould in it. I just put the lid on the kettle (23L of wort) and let it cool down. Haven't had any infections but it's not a preferred/standard method of practice.

Would be interesting to compare the robobrew and GF in terms of quality and performance? Anyone had opportunity to use both?

I think the Robo Brew will probably never really compare to the Grainfather in terms of simplicity of setup, and set and forget operation. I've never used a Grainfather, but they really do look like a much easier option. All the thinking and planning has been done for you. But at roughly $600 cheaper after you fit recirc to the Robo Brew - you can't pass it up. The bloke at my LHBS reckons this is purely an introductory price from KK, and the next batch they release (including the bigger model) will be more $$. Probably still much cheaper than the Grainfather though.

Contacted KK, they couldn't give me a date for the release of the 65L, just said sometime next year. Also said the 65L will sell for "around $700".

I hear the 60L version will probably have a crane like attachment to pull the mash pipe up.

Does anyone have any tips for setting up Equipment and Mash Profiles in BeerSmith for the Robobrew?

What are views on running the brew like a BIAB (eg. full volume mash/boil) vs sparging it?

It's not far off the dimensions of the grainfather, and the grainfather's got a profile in there. It'd make a pretty good starting point.

As to doing a full volume mash, it's not large enough to do that with any beers I brew regularly... maybe if you mostly drink low gravity stuff, but I mean for a 29L boil you'd have to keep it well under 4kg of grain and even then you'd be pushing it if as stated it only holds 34L

EDIT - even that wouldnt work. That's not counting the deadspace, or the volume taken up by the mash pipe

Visited the LHBS today to pick up a few bits for the weekend and noticed he had the Robobrew in the window. Asked if he knew when the next model was coming out and he said it was already showing for him to order in and it seems to have the same heating elements? 2400W sounds a bit weak for a 65L system if true right?

I'd definitely want more than 2.4kW with 65L.

2400W is the maximum for a regulation household (10A) power outlet, right? So that might be some sort of legality in selling the unit?

You'd definitely want more power than that for 65L.

Perhaps they'll just recommend, or sell, a separate heating source (like a supplementary, over-the-side immersion element and to use that when ramping up temps).

Latest posts

Back