Keg King Mini Regulator - co2 bulb slowly drains to empty when disconnected?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I have to store my 5L mini-keg horizontally in the fridge so the gas inlet is below the beer-line. I assume I need a special disconnect with check valve, before I leave the Mini reg attached all the time?

Therefore, I only attach it when I've removed the keg from the fridge and stood it upright. But I don't use the keg for days at a time, and when reattaching the reg I've noticed the bulb is often empty despite the keg being almost full, using a new bulb on the previous occasion and only doing a bit of beer dispensing (ie. not force carbing).

Are they not designed for intermittent attaching to the keg, or am I doing something wrong.

Cheers,
B

It may be that the loss is when it’s on the keg. I found with a cheap disconnect the weight of the gauge and bulb was pulling the disconnect on an angle and gas was slowly leaking. Problem solved attaching a ss disconnect.

If you have scales suitable for small measurements to ascertain where the gas is going weigh unit with full bulb. After use weigh again then after a further few days. This will tell you if the loss is on the keg or off. Also when the unit is not attached to the keg, turn pressure to zero.

Take apart all the posts and disconnects and use keg lube on everything. Once you lube all the o-rings and threads, make sure that all your connections are nice and tight.

I've got the same reg, only used it a couple of times. First time I fitted the co2 bulb it dumped the whole bulb, via the nylon seal, bulb was as tight as possible. To me the nylon washer / seal isn't suitable for the co2 bulbs due to the surface finish on the bulb sealing face. For the second bulb I fitted an O ring and it sealed well. This isn't ideal ether as the O ring isn't really dense enough to seal correctly. I rung keg king about it thinking there must be a seal missing for use of Co2 bulbs, alas that's not the case. Mine also leaks the contents of the co2 bulb over time. I suspect it is via the O ring I fitted not the reg. I think a better sealing washer is required for use with bulbs. Other than that it seems to be a well engineered reg.

Try some plumbers thread tape on the bulb thread.

That stopped mine from leaking.

Try some plumbers thread tape on the bulb thread.

That stopped mine from leaking.

Good tip this worked for me. That said the fault can bit with the mini reg. Mine has had its own issues regulating the pressure in/out consistently. That said does it better with a side stream. I have no clue why a larger pressure vessel would make a difference... ? Pros may know more.

Thanks folks, I’ll give Teflon a try.

What’s the side stream larger co2 vessel someone mentioned?

I do find the reg a bit jumpy and hard to control.

I’d say he meant soda stream bottle. That’s 400gms and you can get an adaptor for your reg.
Remember it’s a mini reg and adjustments you make should be done slowly. Also do not connect any gas form(bulb or soda stream) with the gauge turned on, make sure it is off as damage can be done with the sudden pressure.

Thanks folks, I’ll give Teflon a try.

What’s the side stream larger co2 vessel someone mentioned?

I do find the reg a bit jumpy and hard to control.

Soda stream bottle yep sorry mate. Autocorrect had me done!

Back