keg king kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugdog1

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I am just starting to gather everything for my kegerator setup and realised that keg king now sell these - http://kegking.com.au/magento/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/19l-9l-kegs-keg-parts/19l-ball-lock-keg-brand-new.html - and was wondering if anyone has any input on these kegs or if no one has purchased these yet, they look to be decent quality and not a bad price for a brand new keg.

and also am looking at getting perlick taps and was wondering if I should go stainless or chrome and for what reasons? im looking at having beer and cider and soda on tap for swmbo

cheers ben.

I've got three of them now. Pretty happy.

The top internal weld is not perfectly smooth, and sometimes the lods display a preferred direction to be attached, but otherwise AOK.

I've got four of the keg king fully stainless kegs. Had them for about two years now and love them.

Also have four of the keg king rubber bottom ones, same as what you've linked to. Have only had them since about May. They feel good and I've not yet had any problems with them.

You can probably score some cornies cheaper if your patient and have a look around.

However. Between the 5 x 19's and 3 x 9's of these that I have.. I haven't had any problems. The second hand cornie that I started with has had a couple of minor issues here and there though.

So I'd say if they suit your budget, and you believe in buying well and buying once then good choice and go for it.

I have to agree with Tahoose, Unless your absolutely stuck on new and quality (in which case AEB kegs are the go but will empty your pockets quicker) most second hand kegs just need a damn good clean (read soak in your favourite cleaner) and a new set of seals. 9l kegs are fairly rare so on that front I say jump on what you can find/get/ afford.

Just to weigh in on the Perlick taps: My pub has recently started to change over to the Perlicks. We have 35 taps in the pub (gradual changeover to the Perlicks) and I do the all the maintenance on our equipment (anything major, we get in our tech). In the 6 years I have been working with various taps, the Perlicks have impressed me the most. I'll have to give you an update on how they are going in a few years, but in terms of consistent pouring and keeping clean, they are excellent.

Also, the handle has less travel (less mechanical stress) and moving parts / o-rings are at a minimum compared to your your standard brumbys (lancer/andale/micromatic). Really is a case where simple is better. In the last year I have had sheared tap handles, broken springs, countless o-ring breaks, and a couple of failed welds from our current Andale taps. Stick to Perlick or a similar forward sealing tap and save yourself a lot of cleaning and maintenance work.

EDIT: Always go stainless steel if you can afford the initial outlay. Clean them with whatever chemical, scrub them with whatever you want, they'll be fine. Chrome will damage much easier, and any damage or corrosion will allow mould to grow and affect the taste of your beer. Internal tap corrosion will also affect the way your beer pours by introducing turbulence. You will lose beer due to froth, and the poured beer will be slightly flat as well. This obviously comes predominantly from a commercial perspective, but the same applies at home. Stainless steel will last you significantly longer and is easier to maintain for an extra $15.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll definitely go stainless for the perlicks then as I want them to last and have cleaning chemicals already and don't want to potentially but more for chrome ones.

And I'll probably go the new kegking kegs over the second hand cornies as I can pick them up around the $70 mark I think (not new but close enough), just wanted to make sure they weren't tacky or anything like that.

Anyone had any problems with kegking co2 cylinders? Heaps cheaper then the kegonleg ones but the local homebrew shop seems to think everything kegking is lower quality

Cheers everyone for the replies

I'm using a keg king 2.6kg bottle. Haven't has any issues. Bought it from homebrewingisfun1 on eBay. $160 delivered from memory.

Be wary of the cheap keg king disconnects. They're cheaper up front, but are more likely to leak. I started with the cheap Chinese disconnects thinking that I was cleaver, saving myself about $50 when compared to the genuine cornelious ones. I didn't feel so cleaver when I learned that the leaking disconnects emptied two full gas bottles, costing me about $70 to refill. Get the cornelious brand disconnects from grain and grape (or another sponsor).

I second the above. Just had two cheap disconnects fall apart as soon as I put them on the kegs, and that was their first time in use. Barely any pressure applied and the springs popped out the top on both of them, and one of them completely fell apart. So far I haven't had any issues with the two remaining cheapies, but they're being subbed out as soon as I get some decent ones delivered.

Not worth the hassle for a few bob saved IMO.

Ok good to know that as I was planning on getting them. Thanks

Latest posts

Back