Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.
  1. Brewer's Friend is having an open giveaway, ends soon, so enter now!

Click Here to Enter Now!
    Dismiss Notice

Keg-King / KegLand Elements

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by #brewlife, 10/10/18 at 11:54 PM.

1. #brewlife

Posted 10/10/18 at 11:54 PM
    Hi Guys,

Plenty of old threads from a few years ago about these elements but just wondering if anyone is still using them and if they're suitable for use in boil kettle without burning the wort?

If they're not any leads on suitable elements that don't require me wiring anything?

Cheers

2. sp0rk

Mayor of Pooptown

Posted 11/10/18 at 2:24 AM
    The latest version doesn't have the problems with moisture ingress & earth leakage
    they should have been fully sealed from the beginning since they're used in potentially wet environments
    I had an old one in my still boiler that never saw any water on the outside of the keg, just moisture in the air ingressed and caused earth leakage
    I have a newer one that I've been using for 2 or 3 years and no problems at all
    They are fairly low watt density, so you shouldn't have problems with wort burning

Alchomist likes this.
  3. #brewlife

Posted 11/10/18 at 2:46 AM
    Ok cheers bro, just after some first hand accounts as there’s lots more f bad stories then not a peep.

4. Lionman

Posted 11/10/18 at 2:57 AM
    I used one in a hobobrew before upgrading to a Guten. I now use it to heat sparge water.

I did scorch the wort once when heating while mashing. This was due to lack of circulation though. No issue during boil.

There is enough natural circulation due to convection during boil to avoid scorching.

It helps to invest in a good extension cord too. Really cheap thin cords will heat up which is energy not making it to the element (voltage drop) and will impact on ramp times.

5. wide eyed and legless

Posted 11/10/18 at 3:01 AM
    You should look up the Great No Rinse Sanitizer disaster of 2012 I lost 40 litres of beer over that, another product they released without testing.

6. sp0rk

Mayor of Pooptown

Posted 11/10/18 at 3:43 AM
    And the gas burners that didn't have gas testing, and the temp controllers that didn't have electrical testing, etc, etc, etc

7. wide eyed and legless

Posted 12/10/18 at 6:29 AM
    Another good one. Robobrew Generation 2 Electrically certified to Approval number SGS 60355.2.15.
    SGS Australia Pty Ltd say, sorry not one of our numbers. Gotta have balls bigger than Jeb Corliss to put false info on an electrical appliance.

sp0rk likes this.