Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
I know the keg king elements had lots of issues originally. I'm only worried about the newer type with the length of cable from the base before you plug in the cord.

I purchased two, one died due to water leaking into it on it's first use. Took a while but I did get a replacement sent out. The replacement (along with the other good one) has only been used in my HLT. The replacement one after just 3 brews is rusting! The other element shows no signs of rust, as you would expect from a s/s element. To me it looks like someone has hit it with a buffer or emery that has been used on mild steel. I sent Craftbrewer an email to see if this is covered under warranty on the 5 April, but no response yet.

050420121010.jpg

050420121011.jpg

Are other people still having issues or have I just been unlucky?

QldKev

not that i have owned one but it sounds like you're right with the whole mild steel corrosion

you could always attempt to passivate it again by cleaning and scrubbing the rust off with a scotch brite in a sodium perc solution, rinsed and thoroughly dried.

I have two in my BIAB kettle - used for 25+ batches and they both look like they did they day I got them. I have replaced one as the wires and the white cover snapped off - probably due to the way I tied the cables of the two elements together when in storage.

I got them in August last year.

I think I may have the same one/type by your description (got mine from
BeerBelly) in a combined kettle/hlt - no issues after only 4 brews.

Passivating definitely the go (may have to repeat until any mild steel is all
gone) as the rust will create sites at which rust attack can increase (from
what I remember from reading).

I think where these elements are used in wort, the acidic wort environment
helps to prevent rust. Had some rust spots around some weld spots in the
kettle/hlt and the advice was to clean with green scotch brite to re-passivate.
Then in a another rust attack, I didn't get rid of the rust and did a brew after
which the rust spot went away.

Just got back from CraftBrewer an hour ago with a new element after the original only survived a dry run of the upgraded brewery but karked it 36 hours later on the next brewday.
I've been told that the problem is supposed to have been fixed by Keg King but will wait & see what happens next brewday. Love my (stand-by) immersion element! :super:
Not looking forward to any rust problems if the new element keeps on working.
Other responses to the problem are in the copy & pasted link below. Forum "Insert Link" button is not working for me ATM.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=60089&hl=

TP

Just got back from CraftBrewer an hour ago with a new element after the original only survived a dry run of the upgraded brewery ...

You know you're supposed to use this in water, right TP?

:lol:

You know you're supposed to use this in water, right TP?

:lol:

Sad thing is, this is what Kee (the Keg King wholesaler) has claimed I have done and has stated this is not really a warranty issue!

As a sheet metal worker by trade (although no longer working in the trade) I think he is joking! As I mentioned earlier you can see where the stainless has been worked using a manufacturing area / products that are not suitable for tooling a stainless product. I'm taking a guess that maybe this element got missed and didn't get hit with the picking paste.

I'm pretty pissed of with his response!

I will post any more updates if I get any...

QldKev - Pissed of

An update.

Although there is no sign of any heat discolouration evident, and I know since I have had the unit it has never been turned on out of water, Kee is claiming it is a user related overheating issue. I have expressed my opinion (I am a trade qualified person in the area) that there is direct evidence of where the product has become contaminated during manufacturing process, and has not been pickled to remove this prior to sale, hence the pattern of the corrosion following around the shaft. Looks like Kee from Keg King is not prepared to stand behind his product in this case, so much for the 3 year warranty. I will need to purchase pickling paste in the morning at my own expense to prevent any further corrosion damaging the unit even further. Then all I can hope is that the join where it goes inside the housing to screw to the vessel wont corrode from inside out.

Please be aware of this if you are looking at purchasing a heating element, I know I'll be looking for alternative elements to heat my kettle.

QldKev

Does the rust on the element in the HLT lead to health issues due to contaminating the water and if so what? Or is it the fact that it can lead to the unit failing and frying the user?

Genuine questions. My stick element has rust on it due to some dimwit having a few beers during the brew and forgetting to turn the element off, only to find it glowing red 15minutes later. Jeez I wont be doing that 3 times :huh: . Still works.

Cheers

You would need to consume a lot of rust for it to be dangerous. I don't know the internal wiring of the element and how/if the earth is hooked up so it may be an issue for safety. I'm more concerned that I purchased a s/s element to look neat and give many years of service, to find it rusting after a few uses. How long before it fails due to the rust corroding through the body allowing it to ingest water, I don't know.

I take it your one was not running from a pid?

QldKev

I must admit the cord going to the outlet gets ridiculously hot and warps in all directions in my 2, and there is no pressure on either....

But both still work...

No rust either.

You would need to consume a lot of rust for it to be dangerous. I don't know the internal wiring of the element and how/if the earth is hooked up so it may be an issue for safety. I'm more concerned that I purchased a s/s element to look neat and give many years of service, to find it rusting after a few uses. How long before it fails due to the rust corroding through the body allowing it to ingest water, I don't know.

I take it your one was not running from a pid?

QldKev
Your right Kev, I would be spewing too. I'd be even more pissed off that the manufacturer just ignores it and blames user fault when its not. I know that I caused the damage to mine and I'm suprised it still works after a few years.
No pid on the hlt but I will be adding one when I get the control panel on the rig.

Cheers

I wonder how good these things are ebay 2000w element

They would have a lower heat density as a bonus.

Just need a basic box to house the connection and pick up the earth.

Your right Kev, I would be spewing too. I'd be even more pissed off that the manufacturer just ignores it and blames user fault when its not. I know that I caused the damage to mine and I'm suprised it still works after a few years.
No pid on the hlt but I will be adding one when I get the control panel on the rig.

Cheers

This one has only done a few brews, and being used in the HLT it's never even taken water past 78c. If I had allowed it to get switched on out of water I would be happy to accept it was my issue, but I know for a fact I have not. The last 3 emails from Kee have basically stated the same thing, just worded differently so I give up. I realize he must be upset over these elements, as so many of them have failed and must be cutting into any profit. I just hope the ones melting the wires at the base don't kill someone, I'm not saying they will, but to me it just seems likely that it could happen but I'm not an electrician. Next time for the HLT I think I'll just use the $8 kettle elements, they last in kettles for many years.

I am going to give one whirl, if you dont hear from me I forgot to add an Earth wire.
Seriously dont use it until you add an earth. Should be here in a month :(
Cant be any worse than the one you got.

Nev

Genuine questions. My stick element has rust on it due to some dimwit having a few beers during the brew and forgetting to turn the element off, only to find it glowing red 15minutes later. Jeez I wont be doing that 3 times :huh: . Still works.

Cheers

You idiot, Brad :lol: Hypothetically, if someone else did this exact same thing and the element turned a burnt-brown colour, could this have any adverse effects to health? :ph34r: (Tripped the power to the power point circuit in the house too, I dunno how the hell it still works to be honest. It was glowing red too!)

My last keg king element lasted less than 12 months, but I didn't have a receipt for proof of purchase, so no good. This was due to the insulation on the wires melting.

Cheers.

Hope you get a refund, Kev.

I have been using these elements for about 3 years in all my vessels. They have served me well but they are rubbish.

Good find kev. I have just ordered their 3kw version. If they look all right I will buy some spares.

I'm a little worried now.
I just bought two of these and have got one ready to go this weekend.
I'm aiming to replace my immersion element with them and use them in conjunction with an arduino controller I'm building....
Off to the shed now to look for the reciept - luck trash night is tonight and I have a feeling I put it in the trash at the weekend..... oops.

Back