Keg King Conversation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the Guten 40L have a timer so that its possible to set a temperature for the mash the night before and be it at temp at a specific time the next day ready to mash in?
Also is it good practice to pump cooled wort from the Guten to the fermenter using the onboard pump?
No there is no built in timer to do that. Im not even sure if you use a seperate timer if it will work as I think it resets once its turned back on. I will test it tonight.
Yes you can use the pump to transfer to the fermenter but if you havent used the hop spider you might find it gets blocked up too easily. Lots of posts about it over on the guten thread. I drain out of the tap to a March pump then through my chiller to the fermenter.

Does the Guten 40L have a timer so that its possible to set a temperature for the mash the night before and be it at temp at a specific time the next day ready to mash in?
Also is it good practice to pump cooled wort from the Guten to the fermenter using the onboard pump?

Truman42 is right. There is no timer for setting a delayed start on these systems. You can use the pump for transferring but you have to be confident that you are extracting brilliant, sediment free wort. Sure you can transfer some kettle sediment across, but if you push this you will clog the pump in just about any brewery system.

Truman42 is right. There is no timer for setting a delayed start on these systems. You can use the pump for transferring but you have to be confident that you are extracting brilliant, sediment free wort. Sure you can transfer some kettle sediment across, but if you push this you will clog the pump in just about any brewery system.

If you can deal with the water being kept at 25C, then you can make it work. It’s lots of button pressing due to step length limitations.

Configure a mash profile like the following in auto mode:
Skip step 1. (This will pause at the end so no good for over night)
Step 2 - 25c, low power (500W), 180mins
Step 3 - same as above
(Repeat as many times as needed)
Continue until it’ll get you to an hour or so before mash in time.
The next step, high power, 180mins, at mash in temp. (Say 2000-2500W, 67C)

Now after filling with water (and mash water additions) start the auto program as usual, but then hit start to skip into step 2. Water will slowly heat to 25C and then start the first 180 min timer.

I usually do this the night before, and so the temp it’s just right at about 5am when I get up to mash in, before returning to bed for a bit more sleep. This way you can mash out around 6-6:15, sparge over by 6:30, and boil started by 7ish. Usually chilled, transferred, and fully washed up by about 9am! (Including getting the kids breaks in the middle)

The other thing I’ll do in winter when it’s cold, is set step 1 to high power, 25C for a short time, which will speed up the temp raise to 25, then manually kick it over to the first long 25c step.

Would all be much easier to have a delayed start, but I’ve been doing this for about 20 brews now and it works a treat.

Roughly how long does it take to heat 18 litres of say 20C water to around 73C? and how happy are you with the Guten 40L in general, are there any niggly things in the design/features you wish could have been altered to your liking? and what are the things you really like about the design/features?How do you think it stacks up against other similar systems?

Roughly how long does it take to heat 18 litres of say 20C water to around 73C? and how happy are you with the Guten 40L in general, are there any niggly things in the design/features you wish could have been altered to your liking? and what are the things you really like about the design/features?How do you think it stacks up against other similar systems?
Why can't you just put a timer in the socket?

Not sure for the numbers. I pre heat my sparge water also, so I am heating about 35L from 25C @ 2500W and I usually allow about 45 mins. Setting things up as I mentioned above means that It’s hot when I get up. (Usually I’m about 10 mins into the step at 67ish.

Controller is pretty crusty to program but I think they all are. (Except maybe grainfather)

Honestly I’ve not used any other single vessel systems but I’ve no major problems with the Guten 40. Maybe the bottom and top screens could be sturdier. Bazooka screen was thrown away after first brew cos it’s useless.

Overall I’ve done > 30 brews on it and I’m pretty happy.

There are many threads and videos on the comparisons. Just do a google search.

Not sure for the numbers. I pre heat my sparge water also, so I am heating about 35L from 25C @ 2500W and I usually allow about 45 mins. Setting things up as I mentioned above means that It’s hot when I get up. (Usually I’m about 10 mins into the step at 67ish.

Controller is pretty crusty to program but I think they all are. (Except maybe grainfather)

Honestly I’ve not used any other single vessel systems but I’ve no major problems with the Guten 40. Maybe the bottom and top screens could be sturdier. Bazooka screen was thrown away after first brew cos it’s useless.

Glad you like brewing on the 40L. We still brew on the original 40L system we had as a sample and it works like a charm. You could always upgrade your screen to the new locking screens if you wanted to. To be honest, we never have with the 40L System.

Thought we'd put this here again for reference:

KEG KING HOLIDAY OPENING HOURS:

Sales and customer service office will be closed from 6pm Friday 20th of December and re-open 9:30am Monday 6th of Jan.

ORDERS PLACED AFTER WEDNESDAY THE 18TH OF DECEMBER MAY NOT BE PROCESSED UNTIL AFTER THE 6TH OF JAN 2020.

Our Springvale Keg King Retail Store will be open the 21st, 23rd & 24th of December for walk in sales. The retail store will then close the 25th of Decmber and re-open on the 6th of January.

Is the Fermenter King going to go on sale this week? I've got one requested on a Christmas list but don't know whether it will be available in time or not...?

Is the Fermenter King going to go on sale this week? I've got one requested on a Christmas list but don't know whether it will be available in time or not...?

We should be releasing limited stock on Wednesday and we'll update the product on the website at that time. Hope this works for you.

We should be releasing limited stock on Wednesday and we'll update the product on the website at that time. Hope this works for you.
Great, thanks, I'll sit by the product listing with bated breath...

Will the cooling coil be available at the same time? I assume it won't be include in the main Fermenter King retail package?

Cheers,

Great, thanks, I'll sit by the product listing with bated breath...

Will the cooling coil be available at the same time? I assume it won't be include in the main Fermenter King retail package?

Cheers,

You're correct. The cooling and cleaning kits are sold separately.

You're correct. The cooling and cleaning kits are sold separately.
OK, will the cooling coil be available on Wednesday too? I'm only chasing the coil (not the Thermenter King cooling unit).

Thanks,

OK, will the cooling coil be available on Wednesday too? I'm only chasing the coil (not the Thermenter King cooling unit).

Thanks,

Think so but were still waiting on a small part to seal them into the lid. It's all on its way.

Will you be releasing just the upgrade kits on Wednesday aswell ?

I don’t have a problem with the bottom screen but I don’t use the top screen
However I use the bazooka over the overflow pipe
I love my Guten but the controller is bit of a Bugga to use I feel

Back