Keg hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_h

Reaction score
I have a IPA in a keg which is lacking hop aroma and I would like to try keg hopping for the first time, the recipe for 24 Litres was.

Pale Malt Malz 85.5%
Viking Crystal 50 8.8%
Viking Wheat 5.7%
Challenger 60min 15.6IBU
Cascade 20min 23 IBU (was cubbed hopped)
Safale 04 yeast

I found it lacking a little aroma (will cube hop more next time) so boiled a couple of litres and added added 20g of Cascade at flame out.
I then dry hopped 20g of Cascade ¾ through fermentation.

My issue is I don’t have any Cascade left so would have to keg hop with one of the following;

Challenger
Fuggles
EKG
Hallertauer Mittelfrueh
Perle
Styrial Goldings
Tettnang

The Cascade is not very strong flavour/aroma so I don’t think there would be too much conflict but im leaning to 1g/L of Fuggles.

Any comments/ideas?

Thanks in advace
Dave

it really depends on what you like mate. you've got lots of english and noble hops left. personally, i'd probably go with challenger. some say they get citrus from it which would pair nicely with cascade. then again, you could go fuggles or even a mix of the two goldings would work lovely too. if you're not after conflict then i'd say your best bet is challenger out of all of those.

You could always make a 'hop tea', and pour it into the keg (strained) to minimise any chance of hop floaties.

Or if you're unsure which hop you'd like to use, make up a little hop tea of each of them, have a taste and smell and see which you'd like most in your keg (or mix some in to a glass of your IPA). If you decide you don't really like any of those mixed with your cascade IPA, you can take it as a lesson learned for when you next make an IPA and increase the cube and DH additions.

I've only dry hopped in the 18lt keg. Rather than in primary or secondary. Up to 50g pellets and found it hardly detectable sometimes.
The only time I,ve had outstanding results was with the wet equivalent of 200g fresh hops in the keg.
As for pellets I find it better to put all of your finishing additions in as one bundle at flame out to get the most out of it. In a finishing way, and its far less fiddling.
$0.02

Latest posts

Back