Keg fridge weight limit.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoploader

Reaction score
Hi guys, have recently bought 4x23litre kegs, plus a 6kg kegking steel c02 cylinder. All of these will fit in my 373litre fridge, however that adds up to a serious amount of weight. I've had all 4 in empty with full gas bottle no drama but full keg is seriously heavy, all 4 would be heaps. The fridge is an upside down model which may decrease loading ability. I'm figuring a fridge is designed for less weight, and also that most weight is actually meant to be carried by the sides also. Any thoughts?

As long as the shelves will take it should be all sweet.

May need to brace or replace to ensure they hold.

I put two 30l fermenters on a standard fridge shelf, it bows a bit but will take it.

I was just sitting them on the floor of fridge. Was thinking I could possibly put a steel plate above fridge and drop a hook etc through top to take some weight. Though not sure where gas lines go.

WP_000484.jpgWP_000483.jpgHi, I just measured and cut a piece or garden stake as a prop support, works well.
Cheers

I think it will depend on your given fridge. I can squeeze 5 kegs on my shelf. It did need extra bracing otherwise the shelf would drop. This pic only has 4 kegs in it, but another keg fits in the middle where the stubbies are. You can see the bracing at the sides and the middle, and even the sides down onto the shelf below that one.

kegerator_zps28901cef.jpg

Hoploader said:
Cheers. Looking to buy a piece of checker plate or similar for bottom to distribute weight. Hopefully that's all I need.
Put a 90' return on the front and back of the checkerplate. That will stiffen it further.

Hoploader said:
Cheers guys, I've scored some checker plate from a friends son who's a welder, fridge bling lol
When you design the new shelf don't forget to allow for some air circulation.

Love the ghetto type solutions, just like a beer fridge should be. Mine has to sit on floor of upside down fridge as no shelf is near low enough. Will just sit checker plate on floor to try to both spread weight but especially load at sides where I figure it's stronger

Back