Keg Flowback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmash

Reaction score
Hi all

new to this forum so i hope i'm posting in the right section.

I've been brewing in bottles for years and thought i would have a go at kegs.I bought a keg system off a mate of a mate with gas bottle,4 kegs and a gun with all the lines. I need some advise from you experts.The trouble i'm having is when i pour a beer i can see the beer in the line draining back into the keg,and the next time i go to pour the lines got heaps of air in it and it splutters a lot giving me heaps of froth before it starts pouring properly. I cant find any leaks anywhere and it happens on all 4 kegs.
It makes it nearly impossible to pour a good beer. Do i need to have a non return valve fitted to the line.

Thanks in advace. Kev.

i

Have you got the gas connected and at serving pressure when pouring?

If you're having issues with reversal of flow, I would definitely make sure I had a check valve at the gas end - to protect the regulator. Sorry I'm not sure about the answer to your problem though, but in my unqualified view it look like unequal pressures fighting with each other.

How long are the lines and if it's draining from the gun back into the keg then something's not holding pressure by the sounds of it. Have you tried squirting the whole lot, connections lines regulator everything with soapy water

Hi bradsbrew
not sure how to post a pic but will have a go when i have some more time

Hi wood 88
my beer line is aprox. 1500mm long
Kev

Beer lines shouldn't be too long. Is the beer carbonated.

Ah yeah if the beer isn't carbonated some of the co2 will dissolve into it and reduce the effective pressure, right?

crd0902
keg was carbonated for 48 hours at 40psi.
Have been all over with soapy water. Can't find any leaks.
Kev.

I don't know if the co2 would dissolve that quick and reduce effective pressure. Surely not between beers. Depends how long between pours but maybe I suppose. How did ya carbonate the beer kev

Just too disqualify my idea here, and I'm guessing you have the kegs are over-carbonated.

Take one keg out your fridge tonight, open the relief value on the lid and let the keg return to room temperature, it should be there in the morning. Close the relief value and cool the keg again, when cool put it on the gas at serving pressure and see what happens.

batz

How long should i carbonate for.I was following instructions from one of the homebrew sites.Can't remember the name of it.
Kev.

That will depend on the pressure you are carbonating at, and the temperature of your kegs. I'm guessing they are at serving temperature?

Yea, kegs are at serving temp and using 40psi.

There's the problem Kev, way to high mate no wonder they are over-carbed. 100KPA or around 15PSI

Seems high to me, pretty sure my serving pressure is10 psi
Too late for this lot but i use the ross method, use the google search function on this forum

There's the problem Kev, way to high mate no wonder they are over-carbed. 100KPA or around 15PSI

Then you can back it off for serving a bit if needed.

Do as I said re-leaving the keg out overnight.

batz

Back