Keg fail?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty274

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just setting up my 1st BIAB with a keg. A mate of a mate had a plasma cutter so i thought this would be the best way for a nice clean cut. I was wrong. There seems to be a really rough edge near to where the lid was cut (on the walls of the keg). What would be the best way to clean it up? I have tried a green kitchen scourer but its not that effective. Any better ideas?

I cut the top off my keg with an angle grinder and just smoothed the edges with light sandpaper. Didn't take long.

Can't imagine green scourer doing much. It's steel.

I used a metal file when I did mine.

rusty274 said:
What would be the best way to clean it up?
Do you have a grinder of some type? I used a dremel on mine to smooth off where I drilled the hole in the side.

Edit: Or what manticle said.

Metal file for sure. If you don't have access to that, rough sand paper could be an option.

In the time it takes to scour the thing, you might as well go to the hardware and buy a file

It's not so much the edge that was cut, it must have been the "spray" of the plasma cutter, it's covered the side with rough metallic filings. It feels a bit like sandpaper. I thought a grinder or dremel might be a bit aggressive?

Is the cut jaggered or do you have slag that has covered the side of the keg. If so get a wire wheel and hit it with that. As said a scourer will do stuff all.

Do you have any pics?

It's the slag on the side if the keg. I'll get a pic on later.

Yep flapper disk is the go. A wire wheel may cause some corrosion issues down the track if it is a dissimilar metal to the keg- which is a 99% chance.

Here's the slag there's a lot sitting on the rim and a bit on the wall of the keg.

image.jpg

I had the same problem with mine and a flapper disc cleaned it up really good.

A flap disc, as stated, would be a quick way to do it neatly as long as you have a 4" grinder. A 5" may struggle to get in there.
A Dremel would be fine with a round sandpaper type tool and would be easier and safer to handle than the grinder.

This of course assumes you have the above tools.

Otherwise, a medium or large half-round 2nd cut or ******* file will do but requires a bit more elbow grease. With the rounded side facing down, use the tip of the file and physically attempt to scratch the slag off. Keep pressure on the file tip (files are brittle and can snap) and it will eventually pull it all off. It might look rough and scratchy afterwards, so clean it up with some 80 or 120 grit sandpaper.

Finish by cracking open a home brew.

(outside chance, but if you know someone with a decent sandblaster that would probably give the cleanest finish)

ED: If using a grinder watch the cord on the edge of the freshly cut hole. If there are still burrs, you may cut through the cord as your work your way around the keg. Zap!

I use a plasma cutter and use a flap disc to clean afterwards

Make sure you get the blueish zirconia flap disc, the brown ones are crap.

angle grinder, file and sand paper.... perhaps the green scourer and some soap at the end.

make sure you clean it properly if using a metal file as it can lead to rust spots.

And give it all a good rub down with barkeepers friend at the end. That shit is THE SHIT

Sweet, thanks lads. I have got hold of a grinder and flap disc. I should get to it by Saturday. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the tips everyone

I know this is of no use to you now, but for anyone else reading this thread it is worth filling the keg with water before you start cutting. Any slag, grinding sparks, etc cool before they hit the walls of the keg and don't stick and won't cause future rust propagation sites. Obviously the usual care with water and electricity disclaimer applies!!

Yep, +1 on the flapper disk.
I even have a dedicated ($20) angle grinder just so I don't have to change between the cutting head and flapper.

Generally I have a great disdain for cheap tools, but I do have a bunch of $20 angle grinders.

So I got to clean up the keg today. The grinder with a flap disc worked really well. The grinder I borrowed was a bit big so I think I could have done a nicer job with a small grinder. Anyway I think it turned out ok, time will tell if I get any rust? I used a bit of wet and dry sandpaper, then a scourer with a bit of water and detergent. Thanks for all the help guys.

image.jpg

Back