Keg Equipment & Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgw86

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I have been using 5L mini kegs for about 6 months and just secured myself a new Fridge. I am now looking at moving up to a full Keg setup and want to setup a beer fridge. I have never setup kegs before so am totally clueless as to what needs to be done.

I will be going with a 2 Keg setup, though as it's still a few months away before I buy everything I was hoping to at least purchase the beer taps (2) and set them up now. Can anybody recommend the best place to buy equipment. I was also hoping to have tap handles that I can swap out with my logo for the type of beer on tap.

I was also after a guide on setting up a keg fridge and also how I go about kegging my home brew and the steps required.

Very much appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Sam.

A search on keg setup will find a heap of similar topics to your liking like this one:
Linky

Regarding taps, check out Craftbrewer website in the sponsors area above for a great selection of taps and all other kegging equipment.

I run Celli's personally, but the forward sealing perlicks get a great wrap around here.

Keg setup systems - Thread here

Good luck with the build!

Personally, As much as i say "support your LHBS" and the great sponsors at the top, I found USA the best (cheapest) place to buy taps...

I peronally have used John at farmhousebrewing a few times for perlicks and the price, service and communication was great.

No affilliation etc etc etc

John at farmhouse brewing can't be beat on Perlicks.

Get the taps, shanks, handles and disconnects from farmhouse. Will probay work out to 75$ per tap all up!

Shopping list for Farmhouse Brewing

Screen_Shot_2012_04_02_at_9.36.49_AM.png

Farmhouse will charge 5% international handling fee + postage. This should work out to about 160$ all up in AUD, depending on exchange rate, assuming 20$ postage.

The rest of the stuff you should probably get from an LHBS or craftbrewer etc.

I would suggest

2x (for connecting the shanks to the line)
Code: JG-P1451015FS
Name: Female Adaptor - Thread 5/8" BSP x OD 5/16" (8mm)

2x (optional but really make everything very neat, use them at the shank end)
Code: JG-PM220808S
Name: Stem Elbow - Stem OD 5/16" (8mm)

and

1x (for splitting the gas line)
Code: JG-PM0208S
Name: Equal Tee OD 5/16" (8mm)

and

7M of
Code: BLINECOBRA5MM
Name: Beer/Gas Line (Valpar - FlexMaster II)

to connect everything up

You will then need some kegs, a regulator, and a c02 gas bottle, and some cable clips for the barbs on the disconnects.

If you have the cash then I would strongly recommend buying the Perlick Flow Control taps (or others with flow control).... You may not realise it yet but a big part of kegging is balancing your system so it doesn't just pour froth.... Buy taps with flow control and you don't have to worry about balancing your system! That's one massive headache taken care off for a slightly higher investment (not actually that much higher than normal perlicks anyway)

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback! Greatly appreciated.

I have gone ahead and bought the Perlick 525ss taps and all other keg equipment from CraftBrewer (Thanks Ross!). I did not get the flow control Perlick taps though :-(.

I think I have most of what is required to setup my keg system, though I am still unsure on 1 area. Line Length.

I have seen around in some articles that there is actually a formula for working out how long your Beer line should be. I have ordered the 5mm beer line from CraftBrewer.

If anybody could shed some light on the formula or general help as to how long my line should be that would be great.

Cheers,

Sam.

I saw lots of taps and stuff that might be suitable for your needs at keg king. If you are in Melbourne then have a look there.

To help with balancing, get a temperature controller for you fridge. Failing that, stick a thermometer in there permanently. also if your fridge is an old one with no air circulation, rig up a computer fan to an old phone charger and stick it in there too.

John Palmer gave a good explanation on Brew Strong way back in the archives. It was probably in the April/May 2010 shows on packaging/kegging. From memory 5-6' of the thinner 5mm line was good for a normal 2.5 vol CO2 ale at 4C (which is what I use). You want more resistance from a longer beer line to keep the CO2 in solution for higher carbonated beers (Hefe's etc) and the reverse is true for your low carbonated Milds. Temperature, carbonation level, line length, elevation (keg up to tap) and tube diameter all play a part.

More reading here: http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2011/07/14/k...-of-draft-beer/

Back