Keg Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
I have just kegged an APA which is a little light on in the hop aroma/flavour dept and thinking of dry hopping in the keg.

Has anybody had any experience with this and what are there methods(eg tie a bag to the gas inlet, plugs or pellets etc etc)

Roach,

I just put pellets (or plugs) into a sanitized stocking leg and tie it up. I usually boil the stocking leg first to remove the dye. I also change the water once or twice.

If you use plugs in the stocking, break them up first to get a better surface contact area.

I use anywhere from 10-30g.

Warren -

Roach,

The teabag hops from your local hbs work well for keg hopping - just add the teabag to a cup of boiled water (as per the instructions) & then tip all into the keg...

Thanks Warren and Ross,

Will try the stocking leg method since I have a heap of cascade pellets in the freezer.

Cheers
roach

roach said:
Thanks Warren and Ross,

Will try the stocking leg method since I have a heap of ........

Cheers
roach
[post="65371"][/post]​

I really thought that sentance was going to finish differently .... :D :p

:lol:

Warren -

stocking_head_som_june.sized.jpg

I'm thinking about giving keg dry hopping a go with my latest HourglassIPA. Also after listening to the latest Brewcaster show, I'm keen to try a hop blend for dry hopping.

Beers,
Doc

Hmmm...I'd just enjoy it as it is. Not a dry hopping convert here :blink: :ph34r: Dodge, duck, weave and flame suit is on. I know others like it. Of course each to their own and you'll know if you like it or not after this (and you'll have a whole keg of it to find out just how much).

Just my opinion but I've never been impressed with the flavour out of dry hopping. If I want aroma I just go heavy handed at flame out and it does me. Hope it turns out ok for you. Maybe being an ale it can handle it better but I've dry hopped lagers and will never again.

Cheers, Justin

I'm happy to act as a second target for the flame throwers Justin.
I find it's a lot of hops for the effect. I prefer them boiled for 10-15m for flavour and 0-2m for aroma and leave it at that.
To each their own.

Latest posts

Back