Keg Cutting Party Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger

Reaction score
I am just about to cut a keg down and re-weld a base in, I would like to use it for a party keg but not sure to what size to cut it. I would like to use it with in one or two nights at the most, I know it depends on how much you drink.

My question is, if you had the chance to cut a keg to whatever size you liked to use as a party keg how many letters would you have.

Stagger

The kind of parties I go to, it'd be better to get two kegs and weld them together and INCREASE capacity, but it's really up to you. Just be sure to make sure the welding is done by someone who knows what they're doing. The keg will have to hold a fair bit of pressure and have no seams in the inside.

I think someone was doing this very thing not so long ago (19 to 10L) the welding was a PITA i believe.Have enuff for yourself and the "mates"that just want to try it out

Thanks PM i was thinking of 5L - 8L, i will be doing the welding myself i work in a workshop and do that stuff all day, so if i blow myself up it's my own fault.

Thanks deadly what does PITA mean??

Stagger

/A different track I took was to have a friend cut and re-weld a 19 L corny keg to approx 10Land then have made in (QLD) a 8mm neoprene jacket (with full length zipper) for the keg. Interestingly this work extremely well in maintaining the temperature for at least 4 to 5 hrs. I purchased from more beer one of there faucet taps/adaptors for the quick disconnects and then use the CO2 cartridge system to push the beer out. Sorry no pics of the system/

Found it page 5 of party kegs thread,
PITA =pain in the a**
hope it helps

Stagger said:
Thanks deadly what does PITA mean??

Pain In The A$$

Are you set up to purge the interior of the keg as you TIG it?

This is obviously a joke?
Take the half empty keg home with you (if not consumed) same as you would the empty one

Darren said:
This is obviously a joke?
Take the half empty keg home with you (if not consumed) same as you would the empty one
[post="69052"][/post]​

Yep!

My sentiments exactly.

Take a 20 litre keg and bring home what's left over. If any.
Or for a bigger party take a 50 ltre job or two 20 litre cornys.
For a quiet drink at home just use a US 3 Gall corny. :lol: :lol:
Mind you - a 50 litre keg is a PITA :p

BTW I wish I could weld S /steel with a TIG.

Cheers

Asudb yes i am set up to purge however in this case i don't need to, i will be using 6mm s/s plate and machine a 3mm step down near the outer edge. Then i will cut the keg and press the 6mm plate in and tig the similar sized edges, if i were to purge it might pull crap in to the weld. In this way of welding it heat should no be a problem.

Darren & Dicko it's not a joke i am doing it so i don't have to lug around a 20 L keg.

Stagger

hi stagga ive heard of p[eople cutting the top out of a post nix keg ....cutting a hole in ya 18r welding top of post mix keg on to top thaat way u have easy access to ya heg 4 cleaning fillimng & all the other stuff we have to deal with so try & get a cheap pst mix keg try it ....i havent tried it myself yet coz i 'm not paying $ 80 to cut it up
capish
Rick

I must be lost. Are you trying to make a 11 litre party keg out of an 19 litre keg?

I thought you could just buy one of these hassle free.

Cheers
MAH

3_gallon_keg.jpg

And sanitary too.

Your home made one is unlikely to be a nice sanitarily welded unit. If it's not, you rule out any chances of long term storage of your beer. What do you do with the stuff that doesn't get drunk? Trust me, there will be times when you don't drink it all. If you can't keep it you'll have to chuck it out.

For the cost of a 19L keg, that your going to chop up I'd just buy a 3gal and be done with it. Easy, nice and will hold its value no worries.

JMO

Cheers, JD

I have already done this and as previously mentioned had a 8mm neoprene jacket made for it it holds approx - 9.5 - 10L - definately like this size of keg for parties and a lot easier to manage if you dispense with a 12g co2 cartridge - the jacket will keep it cold for around 3 to 4 hours

check out party keg for more info on this topic -

At the end of the day - I would purchase a 3 gallon keg versus cutting one down now knowing that these kegs are still available

Regards

Markws

You can get the smaller kegs on ebay for about 50 bucks plus freight.

Kegs on ebay in the US

ac_2.JPG

The bloke selling them gets on this board and you will be able to search a heap of posts related to the purchase of this.

Lukes said:
You can get the smaller kegs on ebay for about 50 bucks plus freight.

The bloke selling them gets on this board and you will be able to search a heap of posts related to the purchase of this.
[post="69159"][/post]​

They end up being AU$70 landed in lots of 4 (to WA anyway)

Latest posts

Back