Keg Crisis! Gas disconnect on liquid post

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarey

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm an idiot and put the gas disconnect on the liquid post. Is there an easy way to get it off?

Its a ball lock one.

Help me, I'm thirsty!

An open ended spanner that is just wider than the post. Use it like a lever under the disconnect.

Depending on the keg it should come off with a bit of careful levering. I've accidentally done it a couple of times myself and never had it actually jam on. In fact in some threads about doing weird things like purging sulphur out of a brew some people even suggest doing what you have done and bubbling CO2 up through the brew through the dip tube - never deliberately done that myself but you shouldn't be stuck. Is it originally a USA sourced or German sourced cornie? I know the German ones are a bit tight to put on sometimes but generally the two posts are very close in size. Also if you make a point of smearing a wee bit of keg lube on the posts every time, the connects work a bit more smoothly if you need to get them on or off in a hurry.

Bradsbrew. You are a genius and I love you. My next child will be named after you.

Bribie, thanks for the reply mate, but crisis over. I havent got any keg lube. Methinks I will shortly though.

Glad it's all turned out well. Actually despite his misleading username I'm sure that Archibald will be delighted to know that there's a lad out there named after him.

:)

The gas QDs go on the OUT posts really easily.

Other way round and you're outtaluck.

Remember

B is for Black and is also for Beer

G is for Grey and is also for Gas

QldKev said:
Remember

B is for Black and is also for Beer

G is for Grey and is also for Gas
.... and W is for White and WTF.... are these stupid colors changing for?

I dont want to get into it too much but suffice to say, I ended up with gas connected to both posts.....

Like I said, I'm an idiot.

EDIT: So i guess it was G and G for 'Good God, what the hell was I thinking?!'

Or slap a bit of white or grey paint on the side of your keg that the grey disconnect goes on.

Just a quick glance and it's pretty hard to stuff it up, especially in tight places.

IMG_20130309_181243.jpg

Show me a brewer who has not done this, and I'll show you a brewer who has never had kegs.

I almost popped my fufu valve trying to get the beer QD on the gas post once. Even said a swear word.

The rule has always been in my fridge: gas left; beer right.

Get that wrong and you have a fufu valve situation.

the gas disconnect has a groove around the bottom where you put your spanner. you can feel if you have the right one.

I always label my kegs on the front with gas on the left and liquid on the right. Then they go in the fridge with the label facing the front.

Then there was that time I rebuilt the keg wrong. Don't do that. The 12 sided nut goes on the side marked "in" ;)

Bit hard to see in the pic, but I wrote on the fridge the sides for beer and gas, then always put the kegs in the correct way with the posts lining up. With this fridge I don't have a lot of space on top to see into and knowing which posts are where makes it easier. The front 3 kegs are not too bad, it's the ones behind that are harder.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:59772]

QldKev

Latest posts

Back