Keg conditioning? No CO2 yet.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think BrewMate assumes natural carbonation in the keg - rather the bottle. Just a guess though seeing what numbers come up.

Personally, I prefer way under priming kegs with sugar because once the serving pressure is on there, the keg rapidly achieves the desired carbonation level.

Also why the think you use less sugar for kegging than for bottling ... bottles aren't served under pressure and require more pressure in the bottle to maintain the same fizzyness.

nala said:
I have looked up on Brewmate - for a 2.5 carbonation level at a temperature of 25c the required priming sugar is 140 grams.
I used 25c as an average ambient here in WA
Now take your 140g and halve it and you have 70g as Stux correctly indicated in an earlier post. If you throw in 140g sugar in a 19L keg then expect to be overcarbonated.

I was in the same position as the OP, I'd bought four kegs from Ross when he used to have the free freight offer. However the Kegerator wasn't due for a couple of weeks so I keg-primed a couple - worked fine, but on another occasion I ran into a problem with a keg I was carbing while it waited its turn in the kegmate - the lid of the cornie just wasn't sealing. I remember Butters referring to this, so I took his advice and gave the keg a good squirt of CO2 to seat the seal up hard against the lid, and no further problems.

Hopefully the OP won't run into that problem, but watch out as there's no way of fixing that problem if it occurs and the OP still doesn't have gas.
I doubt if anything would find its way into the keg as no doubt the CO2 will be seeping out as the primings ferment out.

Back