Keg Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
OK, so I'm days away from getting the last few bits and pieces of my keg system - woohoo :D

I've got a keg here, which I bought second hand. When I picked it up, it wasn't that clean, but it didn't look too bad.

I've replaced the rubber o-rings on the lid and the poppets and have also pressure tested it (by half filling it with boiling water and giving it a shake) - so the mechanics of it look ok.

I have given it a wash out with one/sling shot (orthophosporic acid) and now it *looks* clean inside. I've turned the keg up so I was able to get the sanitiser running cleanly out of the pressure relief valve, and each of the turrets (by pressing in the centre bit thingy).

Is it enough to do that? or do I have to unscrew the turrets (with a socket I don't have) and pull them apart to clean them?

Once I got all my lines and disconnects, I was planning on running some more one shot from the keg through the entire system.

Comments?

Also, what do I need to be buying for line / keg cleaning in the future?

Thanks guys

Boots

I have unscrewed the turrets on my kegs once - when I first got them. Since then I haven't bothered to pull them off and clean them. Might need doing every few years maybe.
When I have finished the beer in the keg I give it a good rinse with water to get all the yeast from the bottom loose, then fill with boiling water from the kettle and shake it up, then attatch a QD with small length of hose and empty the hot water out.
I have used keg line cleaner and sodium percarbonate (napisan) in the past to clean, with idophor to sanitise but I now have Phos Acid so I will be using that from now on.

Check out this thread on the subject. Keg Cleaning

Hoops

If the keg looks a bit grubby inside, you should clean it with caustic soda. I find I can get 3 or 4 refills between the caustic washes. You will see when the brown crud becomes evident. I also slick up the o rings with a little silicon grease. I always used vaseline but was advised to use silicon as the vaseline could cause degradation of the nitrile over time, though I never saw any evidence of that.

TonyM , is silicon grease readily findable at your average H/W store?

Tony M said:
If the keg looks a bit grubby inside, you should clean it with caustic soda. I find I can get 3 or 4 refills between the caustic washes. You will see when the brown crud becomes evident. I also slick up the o rings with a little silicon grease. I always used vaseline but was advised to use silicon as the vaseline could cause degradation of the nitrile over time, though I never saw any evidence of that.
I ahve been told to use keg lube - or for those who have it home...

KY Jelly is great stuff for this - now 1001 uses... :rolleyes:

:D

Tempting, but I am not touching that one :p.

The size of the town I live in , if I where to buy JY , man would the stories start then !

Not worth it :lol: :lol:

As long as you make it clear that it is for the your kegs ring I am sure it would go no further! :huh: :D :lol:

Sure JasonY

Just tell'em I am going to rub it on my "O" ring

As KY is water soluble... dont you find it dries out?

Boots said:
is silicon grease readily findable at your average H/W store?
Boots - the INOX brand (blue container) of grease is pretty common. Can't remember the number but one of them is definitely food grade.

I also agree with others that for first up, use sodium hydroxide for a wash (just be real careful with the stuff). As for one shot I have never used it but phosphoric acid alone isn't a great cleaner (great sanitizer though).

cheers

Clean kegs with one shot or sling shot or your own mix of phosphoric acid and detergent and use Armour- all on any rubbers.( on the keg that is ).

Clean beer lines and quick connects periodically with beer line cleaner and very hot water.

Dismantle beer taps and clean as necessary. replace seals as required.

Drink and enjoy!!!!

BTW, I dont put any lube on my keg seals ( no friction - no lube ) only on my fermenter seals,

Cheers,

Thanks for all that guys. I'm starting to get a little excited

Boots said:
Thanks for all that guys. I'm starting to get a little excited
Make sure you have something to keg when it's all finished. I only had a beer i didn't like, which was kinda lucky in a way as i wasted 1/2 of it getting my pressures right, but now i have to wait a few weeks for something tasty to keg.

Instead of using caustic you can use washing soda, bit safer and quite effective. rinse, do the shake with boiled water

i then fill with Terminater solution (same as one shot but cheaper :) ) seal the keg up and push most of the sanitiser solution out with gas, thus cleaning keg, beer line and beer gun

Jovial Monk

Waaaay ahead of you there Jgriffin B)

Got an ESB Wheat overdue for *chuckle* bottling .... and a ginger beer that is only days away from being sacrificed to the ale gods
:chug: :chug:

Dicko,
I never bothered with lubricating the seals either until one day I damaged the "gas in" o-ring without realising it and quietly bled off the bottle.

Dicko,
One day you won't be able to get the beer-line off the keg post. Then you will wish you had used a little keg lube. Downside is: keg lube makes it easier to jam the beer out onto gas in post
Also a little keg lube on the poppets also helps to seal the keg better.

Darren said:
Dicko,
One day you won't be able to get the beer-line off the keg post.
Ouch! :blink:

Been there, done that. I've got one of those heavy-duty brass?? disconnects that look pretty old. I've gotten it caught on the post a couple of times. I think that the sticky residue of old beer basically glues it shut :blink: .

Can't say I've used keg lube "yet" (sounds sensible though). I've found that pouring a little boiling water over the disconnect liquifies the stick mess and making the disconnect go loose again.

Warren -

Back