Keg Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
Keg_camper.jpgHey fellas, thought i'd share a pic with yooz. Going on a 2 nighter with a doz workmates and almost gave up on the idea of taking a keg. This solution suited my budget. Used my mash tun/ 40 ltr Igloo. Hollow pool noodle inside bottom of cooler stabilises keg and raises ice above rubber base of keg/no need to chill the rubber, hey. Cost $7 for a couple of noodles. Dump the ice in, then slip a solid noodle around the top to seal. My only concern is the top being exposed. Will cover with something, perhaps a damp towel. Any thoughts.
Silver

We home brewers are a crafty bunch. I recently converted a wheely bin for the same purpose. Worked okay but took 6 bags of ice per day to stay cold.

Your idea is heaps better. Only issue I can see is CO2 coming out of solution in the warm beer line. That's assuming you're using a gun with 2+ metres of line attached.

Your idea is heaps better. Only issue I can see is CO2 coming out of solution in the warm beer line. That's assuming you're using a gun with 2+ metres of line attached.

Did you look at the picture :unsure:

+++

Silver - Awesome :super:

Cheers Ross

View attachment 58877Hey fellas, thought i'd share a pic with yooz. Going on a 2 nighter with a doz workmates and almost gave up on the idea of taking a keg. This solution suited my budget. Used my mash tun/ 40 ltr Igloo. Hollow pool noodle inside bottom of cooler stabilises keg and raises ice above rubber base of keg/no need to chill the rubber, hey. Cost $7 for a couple of noodles. Dump the ice in, then slip a solid noodle around the top to seal. My only concern is the top being exposed. Will cover with something, perhaps a damp towel. Any thoughts.
Silver

Good job. No need for the towel. Use it if you want, but the beer will stay cold as you have it set up now. Even if the lid warmed a bit, it wont touch the beer. Every time you pour, the level drops further into the ice.

will be stealing this idea for my next camping trip, have the same cooler ariving tomorrow as I missed fedex this morning, got it to use as MT so I might have some questions for you once I get it all set up

Hey boys, just got back from 2 nights at Noosa North Shore where i trialled my set up. Pleased to say it worked a treat. The morning we left, 7-30am keg was pulled from fridge, put into esky, bottom noodle inserted, 1 bag of ice added, top noodle inserted with a small wedge of noodle to close a small gap. Still had a little ice next morning. Only downside was trying to set pouring pressure, but that provided plenty of entertainment in itself. Any tips on setting pressure when a tap is directly attached to keg.
Cheers
Silver

Hi Silver,

You can get restrictors that fit inside the "beer out" tube.
I cant recall where to get 'em but I recon Batz had bought a few from somewhere'
The other, more expensive way is to by an adjustable flow beer tap.

Good set up BTW

Cheers

View attachment 58877Hey fellas, thought i'd share a pic with yooz. Going on a 2 nighter with a doz workmates and almost gave up on the idea of taking a keg. This solution suited my budget. Used my mash tun/ 40 ltr Igloo. Hollow pool noodle inside bottom of cooler stabilises keg and raises ice above rubber base of keg/no need to chill the rubber, hey. Cost $7 for a couple of noodles. Dump the ice in, then slip a solid noodle around the top to seal. My only concern is the top being exposed. Will cover with something, perhaps a damp towel. Any thoughts.
Silver

One concern I'd have is the rubber base marking my esky. Be worthwhile to ensure it can't, which perhaps your bottom noodle does?

Or you could attach beer line to the disconnect, run it "under the noodle" (nternoodlebierleitung), then back up to the tap.

unt bobsuruncle. bottom of esky was not marked by the rubber, could lay a plastic bag down first if it was a concern. i do like the idea of a restrictor, i might try fitting something to the inside of the picnic tap.

Where the hell in Australia can you buy those coolers? I have been looking for one EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Where the hell in Australia can you buy those coolers? I have been looking for one EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Have seen a 37L round cooler, very similar to the above at BCF. Not the same, it was blue. Don't think the brand was the same either.
Cost was bout $85.

Cheers,
D80

Back