Keg Carbonation Charts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matschubert

Reaction score
I have only been brewing for a few years and generally do it with extracts plus extras but as an early xmas present have just got a two tap kegerator with 3 corny kegs full of beer!!!
As I start "emptying" those kegs I want to give a go at both forced and natural carbonation. I have found tons of charts on slow force carbonating kegs but have found no charts on psi for natural carbonating a keg and cant base my psi on the slow carb charts as when I do my secondary fermentation in the keg it will be at room temperature which is easily above the temperatures of the slow carb charts I have found as they are of course suited for cold kegs.

Has anyone graphed out the daily pressure of a naturally carbed keg and would like to share or is this a little project that I can do as I run a few test batch's? I am mainly interested in the final pressure that I should be happy with before tapping and after how long. I am going to make a bleeder similar to the attached image so that I can read my pressures and release pressure if needed. I will also measure temperature each day.

Natural Carbonation over time using bottles (good detail but doesnt show temperature so essentially useless):
Carbonation_test.JPG

Slow carb chart:
View attachment CO2chart.pdf

i find if i take the normal carb number and halve it for natural carbonation its about right. barring an infection its pretty close

Force carb
1 atm, 14 psi, 100kpa for 7 days at 3.5c
3 atm, 44 psi, 300kpa for 24 hours at 3.5c

Naturally carb
Add correct amount of sugar, hold at fermenting temps for 2 weeks, stuff the pressure.

Don't make it hard

Back