Keg Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Gonzo

Reaction score
Hi all. Have started keg brew and want to sterilise the lines. We don't have a brew shop here so what can I use to keep the home brew tasting great with clean lines?

What do you mean by 'keg brew'? I think you might need to elaborate on what you're specifically doing. Are these lines from the keg to tap? Sanitising them should be pretty easy to do.

For cleaning lines, you could use nappy san (non scented), to sanitise, I usually use star san. what do you use to sanitise your fermenter?

Sorry Should have explained more. Have now started home brew in 50 ltr kegs instead of bottles. I want to sterilise the lines and taps. Question is what do I use for this process as we don't have a brew shop here to ask. I have a Pic of the setup but can't seem to copy it to this site. Any sugestions?

Last edited:
Sodium percarbonate to clean the lines, starsan to sanitise them. Put some in a keg, push it through the lines, leave for an hour, then push through plenty of clean water to rinse.

Commercial beer line cleaner's a very strong usually liquid caustic that gets diluted and run through, which is particularly necessary for commercial runs because you cant just replace the entire beer python(s) once a year. Beer stone starts becoming a bigger issue over that timeframe. For my money (and safety, I've got burn scars from the stuff) I'd just avoid it for home, and replace your lines at least every second year.

Your bigger issue is making sure those 50L kegs are clean and sanitised. There isn't much info on here regarding this as they are commercial and more difficult to access, however it can be done on HB scale. As always google is your friend, add sanke to other search terms and you should yeald some decent results.

Hi all. Have started keg brew and want to sterilise the lines. We don't have a brew shop here so what can I use to keep the home brew tasting great with clean lines?
If you want the best, get some peracetic acid, it has to be kept in the fridge, I can get mine in 2 litre bottles, but you only need to dilute 1 ml per litre, costs me about $30 for 2 litres.

Thanks all for the feedback. Have been having a few teething problems but with your help I am getting through these so I can enjoy the home brew.

Back