Keg Beer Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamaso

Reaction score
As a relative newcomer to keg brewing, I am finding that the aftertaste of keg beer in most of my brews is very similar to that of tonic water. The same brew put into bottles(the overflow) and left for the prescribed four plus weeks tastes terrific. What am I doing wrong? The brew itself does'nt appear to be over-carbonated (not huge amounts of gas & bubbles nad I think I am going through the whole process the right way. A mate near Dubbo who has just started kegs is having the same problem.
Is it the brew still too green or what? Any help much appreciated.

hmm does this flavour stay in the brew for the whole time?

i have heard of brews developing this flavour from force carbonating in which water and co2 makes carbonic acid.but this flavour will go away after 2 days at most.

i haven't found any probs so far and i force carbonate with the rocking method.

Flavour seems to stay for whole keg. First force cabonation I do through the "out" valve (laziness) then all gassing is through the "in" valve.

Don't really get what your about here ,
the keg brew and the bottles , what's the difference in time they are drank?
Seems to me one is being left to mature a little the other not

Are the kegs you've recently got (and your mate) old soda kegs (as in soda water/lemonade) ??

If so have the seals (o-rings and washers) been replaced etc ?

You maybe getting off tastes from those sources.

Beers,
Doc

almost sounds like it might be cleaning agent left over in the keg when you fill it with beer?

Might be maturity of the beer.
Will overhaul "o" rings etc. & see if that works.
Using Idophor to sterilise, mixed as per recommended mixing rate, leaving stand for hour or so after shaking and gassing it thru valves, draining it out and then filling.

I go with GSRMan - sounds like cleaning agent residue.

Back