Keg As A Co2 Resevoir

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulNewBrewer

Reaction score
Hello

My teen-aged (18+) brother wants to borrow my keg set up (and beer) for a gathering which I am unfortunately unable to attend. I more than happy to do this, but am reluctant to give him the CO2 cylinder for safety reasons and instead want to simplify things for him (and his friends at the gathering). My thoughts are that I could use a spare 18L corny as a 'co2 resevoir' - up to say 40-60 PSI(?) - and to use this to pump the beer out of another almost full 18L corny? Is this possible?

If so what type of pressure would I need to pump into the 'resevior' keg to get all of the beer out if I was dispensing the beer say at 10-15psi? Also what type of set up would I need? Would it need a regulator, or can I get around this somehow (perhaps by building a rig using preset pressure release valves)?

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated!!!

Cheers

Paul :)

I have thought of that, I did take a 1/2 full keg to a party, gassed up.... the first beers poured real fast. the last real slow... Id say this would happen if you use another keg to gas it... but someone else here may have another suggestion..

Id suggest talking to 'hoops' on this forum and buy a soda stream adaptor, this will allow you to connect a cheap soda stream bottle to your normal reg...

here is my little party set-up....

reg-bug006.jpg

I asked at KMART for a spare bottle, they said they are $30 each (full), then $11 to swap for a full gassed one..

the above set-up has so far pushed out 3 full kegs, its starting to get empty now... don't use the above to carbonate, use it to pour only...

oh.. and welcome to the forum!.. :chug:

ok- i did this for a mates party while we were waiting for the reg and gas bottle to arrive.

Basically, fill the keg to 40-60 psi.
make a gas disconect to gas disconect hose - if u have a spare ball valve - put this inline.

Now then - when the presure in the beer keg starts to drop - just conect the gas to the CO2 keg for a moment - ie on and off staright away - or open the ball valve and shut it again.
This will give teh beer keg a shot of co2 and it will pour again.

Just keep doing this for the night....

Happy Partying

warb, suggerdog and GMK...thanks for the great advice, at least it is possible!!!

Just clarifying....

GMK - Using your set up one CO2 keg was enough for one beer keg? If so that is great. I will fill up two CO2 kegs (one as a spare) and leave them to it...and I guess go round in the morning to pick the empties up. :)

Cheers

I did hear of a party, the gas ran out, the beer stopped pouring, so they simply took the lid off the keg and dipped glasses into the keg to get the beer out.

You could always use a stack of 2 litre PET bottles, counter pressure fill into these, and send them off to the party.

PaulNewBrewer said:
warb, suggerdog and GMK...thanks for the great advice, at least it is possible!!!

Just clarifying....

GMK - Using your set up one CO2 keg was enough for one beer keg? If so that is great. I will fill up two CO2 kegs (one as a spare) and leave them to it...and I guess go round in the morning to pick the empties up. :)

Cheers
I installed a four tier Font on his bar with four taps and 8 kegs....

the Keg with Co2 in it lasted the whole party - we were giving all four kegs a shot at once....we used the ball valve method - i did a gas outside the fridge setup for hime - so it was really easy.

Still CO2 in the gassing keg in the morning.

will need to label the kegs and make sure that no drunks go opening the spare gas keg - could be bad news breathing in all that CO2....

Back