Kefir grains for brewing,thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toper

Reaction score
I'm currently chatting to a fella in the UK who's asked the question about using this for brewing.Seems to have a lot of lactic potential,so possibly a Lambic.no idea if it'd work,just putting the idea out here for comments and thoughts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

Read a book some years ago about the Mongol's who drank fermented mares milk, I'm sure if you Google it you will find what your after I think it's called Airag or something like that.

Ewww. I know there are differing notions about the composition of kefir grains, but it's a fair bet (and my belief from experience) that yeasts are part of it. I shudder a bit at the thought of the possible off flavors. But then, adventure never tastes quite right if its a good one, eh? Go for it.

Of course there are those who say it's not an adventure if you don't almost die at least once...

The Wiki article says it can be used for fermenting ginger beer and normal beer too,so it's certainly possible.Just a matter of working out the style most suited I guess .

I think it'd be fascinating to try! Over the last 3 months I've started making both kefir and kombucha and have thought about fermenting wort with them and or blending beer with them (the kombucha at least). I'll probably start off with something like a Berliner Weisse style - low gravity and suited to the lactic flavour. I've plated up yeast and bacteria from the kombucha and also a sourdough starter so I can try isolating some of the bugs.

brewtas said:
I think it'd be fascinating to try! Over the last 3 months I've started making both kefir and kombucha and have thought about fermenting wort with them and or blending beer with them (the kombucha at least).
Apparently kombucha does some pretty interesting things with wort. Search homebrewtalk.com. I think I read something on there about that.

Latest posts

Back