Keezer Plans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
Ramble Begin:

So I've lined up a 300 litre freezer. Unfortunately I'll only have a stationwagon, so i'll need to lie it on its back for transport. So I'll wait a while before turning it back on. I currently have 2x19L cornies, and a 12L one. I plan to get 2 more.

Currently still running off sodastream gas...but I'll upgrade to 2.6 kg when that all runs out. Or I'll keep using sodastream if I want.

I'd like to do it up nice - maybe get some red gum slab across the top, all shiny and nice like a bar. Dress front and sides with thin wood (whilst trying to take into account heat dissipation).

I'd like to have castors on the bottom. I've already got a 120V thermostat STC1000 wired up in a project box.

And then I'll get a 4 tap font (any suggestions for a reasonably priced - but awesome looking font?) the best idea I have at this stage is the kegking / thebrewstore 4 Tee Font for $169 http://www.thebrewshop.com.au/4-tap-tee-fo...cial-grade.html. I haven't seen it in person though - can anyone tell me if this thing is the sh|t?. The Andale version looks sooooo good http://www.andale.com.au/the-t-flanged-font, but anyone have an idea how much $$ they go for? I'm guessing too much!

Taps: Perlicks, simply because I like the look and want stainless steel. I would love to have flow control - and I understand perlick are still working on a SS version of the control tap. I'm also wondering if the curve on the shank (like this one http://www.thebeertapstore.com/Stainless_t...bly_p/sk05.htm) will fit snugly on the T font.

I also see a kegking font cooler fan, and this looks handy. I wonder how well it works in a font which doesn't have a 'return path' so to speak. It could either run full time, or off the same thermostat that will turn the freezer on and off. Do many people operate a font without any cooling and have no problems?

I guess I'll recess a stainless drip tray (any suggestions?)

And I'm also on the hunt for a 6 manifold (future planning) but with 1/4 barbs and check valves, and one that doesn't cost freakin $50 to post to australia!

So...this is like a brainstorm for me....I'm after any tips and suggestions you might have. Or links to cheap deals for any of the above items. This is going to cost a packet.

This is going to cost a packet.

But how ******* cool is it gonna be!

sounds great Drew, would love to see pic's when you get it all coming along.

cheers,

Nath

I used 2 x dual tap fonts instead of a single 4 tap. Cheap and still looks good.

I also went flow control Perlicks over the stainless. Stainless taps are nice to brag about but, unless I'm missing something, really why would you choose them over flow controls?

I was always going to add a font cooling fan of some description but so far haven't seen a need, with the flow controls and the relatively short font towers my first beer usually pours fine without excessive head. Maybe it will change over summer when ambient temps get a bit higher.

chicompany have a good range, i'll give them that!

For Co2 manifold you can pick the exact connections (MFL, barb, 1/4, 5/16). The 6 way is $80 + $20 postage, $100. If anyone sees cheaper let me know.

The dual font setup I have also considered... my brain objects to it for some reason. In fact it won't save much vs the $169 font.

Ah flow control vs stainless. I've been debating this for a few weeks (just by myself until now). Not being an expert I guess I can't make even an educated decision. I just think a solid piece of SS sounds more robust that something that's plated. My chrome fittings in the bathroom come to mind - a few years on and they don't look good. Maybe the chromed perlicks are more robust, but considering the price I think I have to go SS. Happy to cotinue the debate! :) In my mind, if the downside to not having flow control is the requirement to balance my beer lines...the upside of having stainless steel is well worth it?

Beertapstore tells me they are still expecting to stock the SS Flow control at some point, though they don't know when.

Latest posts

Back