Keezer Drip Tray Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
So i've recently gotten around to totally finishing my keezer, the last piece of the puzzle is the drip tray, i have seen some wood holding the brackets (bracket screwed into wood, wood stuck to the freezer somehow).

From my research and searching and only finding magnets, or velcro (here and google) i have come up with the thought to use liquid nails.. so i concocted this little clamping setup to allow me to clamp it on.

Now this was awesome while the freezer was off - 24 hours in and it wouldn't budge, i took the clamps off today (36-40 hours in) and shut the lid, turned the bugger on, and about half an hour later BOOM it dropped to the ground.

Any ideas on what else to try? if the liquid nails doesn't handle the heat generated by the coils, then i doubt velcro glue would, and since i've rigged up the wood backing, i'd like to use it rather than go the magnet route.

What are the thoughts on Araldite? I think Liquid nails can only handle 40 Celsius.. since it was bringing it down from 20 Degrees, it was working for a while. I have read about Araldite super strength holding up to 100 degrees Celsius.. Im thinking of heading to Bunno's tomorrow morning and getting stuck in (pun intended).

Any better ideas/assistance?

Any better ideas/assistance?

You know that thin, double sided foam tape? It's freakin super strong. Almost stronger than the 3M stuff people use to hold picture frames on the wall without hooks. Comes in a green roll (green backing) at bunnings.

Pic of it clamped - excuse the mess.. Everything has been everywhere for some Reno's at my brothers house.. And I just chocked up te bottom of the wood with whatever was close haha

image.jpg

You know that thin, double sided foam tape? It's freakin super strong. Almost stronger than the 3M stuff people use to hold picture frames on the wall without hooks. Comes in a green roll (green backing) at bunnings.
The only thing im worried about is that the liquid nails melted and that shit is supposed to be super strong, i do have some of that 3M super strong velcro.. its not material like on one side and then spiky, its actually plastic spikes that interlock both sides..

Used to use it on my guitar pedal boards, always held on throwing the case around..

What about screwing it on using stainless steel self tapers

Liquid nails worked ok for me.. Drip tray has been solid for about 3 years now. Perhaps you didn't clean the surface 1st?

Is it possible that it was the casing contracted with the cold when the freezer was coming down in temp? This would cause the liquid nails to break off the metal as it's not a flexible glue. If that's the case, yon double sided tape or acetone set silicone, or even flexible tile glue may solve the problem? IIRC the coils which get hot are at the back of the freezer...

Also same could happen with expansion from heat I guess, still think flexible glue of some sort would help. HTH cheers

What about screwing it on using stainless steel self tapers

And bust a coil? Lol
I cleaned it, the glue was wet when I heard it drop, and the surface was hot to the touch, it's about 30 years old if that changes anything?

I like Cocko's idea of using a shelf system like THIS one.

I will be attaching one to Obelix shortly after Xmas. No need for any glues or magnets appeals to me.

Here is it attached to Cocko's keezer, I hope he doesn't mind me showing.

post-7247-1306233405_thumb.jpg

And bust a coil? Lol
I cleaned it, the glue was wet when I heard it drop, and the surface was hot to the touch, it's about 30 years old if that changes anything?

You would only need short screws just to grab on the sheet metal. I think the lines would be a little deeper than that. Anyhow if you stuff it up it will be a good excuse to by another!
Cheers

I agree, this stuff holds plastic moldings on cars in direct sunlight during 45 degree days doing 150km/hr.

They have a white tape and also black tape, both have the green backing. The black stuff is stronger.

QldKev

i was going to use cocko's idea but use two thin strips off ally or stainless

maybe a little insulation tape down the inside to stop it scratching the fridge

Check out he "sika" range of products! Not to sure if bunnings stocks them :beer: s

Check out he "sika" range of products! Not to sure if bunnings stocks them :beer: s
second them, half the minehunters in the navy are held together with this. also this is how the collar on my keg fridge is mounted. planning on mounting my drip tray with this.

Some good info! Cheers guys!

I just got my last tap handle in so I'm going to mount it again today, I was going to use some araldite I have here, if not ill probably give the sika range a look or find out where the coils are..

If I'm going to drill I want it to be deep, It's a bit of weight.

I'd love to try the shelf setup posted above, but I made my cooler have a face, so it sits out from the rest of the freezer, I could work around it but its a lot of effort if I can still glue it..

I think my next build will be a font and bar setup! Planning big things haha

Some good info! Cheers guys!

I just got my last tap handle in so I'm going to mount it again today, I was going to use some araldite I have here, if not ill probably give the sika range a look or find out where the coils are..

If I'm going to drill I want it to be deep, It's a bit of weight.

I'd love to try the shelf setup posted above, but I made my cooler have a face, so it sits out from the rest of the freezer, I could work around it but its a lot of effort if I can still glue it..

I think my next build will be a font and bar setup! Planning big things haha
If you are going to screw it on, remember you only have to screw it to the sheet metal, so anything longer than say half inch or 12mm for the young ones, long screw is doing nothing anyway. Once the self tapers are pulled up tight it will be fixed tight, and its only sheer weight anyway. Put in 4 screws if you can.
Cheers

Perhaps you need to sand the surface where you'll be using the liquid nails?

Personally I'd just hang it from the collar

If you are going to screw it on, remember you only have to screw it to the sheet metal, so anything longer than say half inch or 12mm for the young ones, long screw is doing nothing anyway. Once the self tapers are pulled up tight it will be fixed tight, and its only sheer weight anyway. Put in 4 screws if you can.
Cheers

I was thinking through into wood might hold better, I have plenty of room in the freezer for a sheet.

I did sand the painted surface, and the wood, cleaned the dust etc, if this doesn't work I'm keen on screws.Well, I tried a different approach this time, Araldite and everything below.

image.jpg

Well, in case anyone else has issues, Araldite did the trick, its super strong now, and will only get stronger!

Screen_Shot_2012_11_26_at_5.01.07_PM.png

Back