Keezer - CO2 Bottle Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NT.Thunder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had a 2.6l CO2 Keg King bottle for some time that usually lives inside the keezer which I really didn't have any problems with until I moved from Canberra back to Darwin. For some reason it dropped the entire bottle of CO2 whilst I was carbonating 2 AG brews last week so I took it in and had it filled and initially thought it must have been the lines.

I picked the bottle up and had it in the shed for a couple of days before getting to it on the weekend to hook up only to notice it again had dropped the entire CO2 fill. Pretty pissed off at this stage I though BOC might have done the dodgy on me so took it to them and they said they won't do fills anymore for the public, great. I took it to a company that looks after bottles (although they didn't tell me at the time they couldn't fix CO2) but it seems the Burst Disc Nut had cracked and you could visibly see a few cracks. Now I'm not sure how this happened, the bottles only 12 mths old and I haven't dropped it and it has been carefully stored in the car but my question is - do you think this may have been caused by keeping the bottle in the keezer and the higher temperature differential up here making it more brittle or susceptible to breakage?

I'm wondering whether I should store it at room temp and run the lines through the collar. I've had some real issues with getting the keezer running well in terms of flow and carbonation, is this more difficult with the gas stored cold inside the keezer.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get a 3000psi burst disc nut for Keg King bottle.

For the burst disc nut I would contact Keg King. I strongly suspect that the fault is crapp brass and that you have a good claim under warranty, given that the nut isn't corroded by exposure to excess moisture or the like.
Storing a CO2 bottle in the fridge isn't a problem, the temperature isn't that cold, certainly not cold enough to affect brass, the regulator or CO2.
Mark

MHB said:
I strongly suspect that the fault is crapp brass and that you have a good claim under warranty, given that the nut isn't corroded by exposure to excess moisture or the like.
Can confirm KK's brass products tend to be made from cheese
the brass ball valves on my KK CO2 manifold leaked so I tried to remove them to thread tape them up, they promptly crumbled around the flat faces for a spanner, I had to use multigrips to get them out
Not to mention the blanking plug on the end that's supposed to be removable, I've chucked the manifolf in the vice and leant on the blanking plug with an extension bar, stopped because I felt I'd break it

KK are great with their warranties, so should hopefully replace it, it's most likely a material fault

This was the response I received from Keg King - the burst disc isn't blown, the nut housing it is cracked.

"At this stage of 18 months old the warranty is no longer valid. I believe on the label of the cylinder it also says if filled elsewhere outside of Keg King the warranty is void. Also the burst disc is there for a safety requirement and our own benefit. They place where you have had it filled is who to talk to. It seems they have over filled the cylinder to a pressure that has broken the disc.

We do have replacement parts if need be".

Guys from Keg King got in touch with me after placing an order and helped me out so kudos to them - appreciated

Back